New Chain,New Cassette,New Rear Wheel... Need help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lauris

Hi

Today I bought a chain, cassette and a new rear wheel.

I put them on the bike.

Please see 2 clips below on the issue.

But briefly, first, it keeps going from changing gears itself. Secondly, there is a skipping noise.

I knew this was to be expected.

Before I go on to screw up something.

Can somebody please tell me or confirm that is the rear derailer issue and the screws need adjusted.

Fyi the rear wheel I bought is with a spacer to accommodate 8-speed cassette.

View: https://twitter.com/Laurisss333/status/1311707300114112515

View: https://twitter.com/Laurisss333/status/1311707416275439616

Big John

Guru
You're going to get a lot of responses to this one but all you need to do is find a YouTube video on how to index your gears. It helps if you have a workstand but if you haven't you will need someone to hold the back of the bike up while you turn the cranks. You have a new chain AND cassette so once you've indexed the gears you should be good to go. Don't mess with the high/low screws - these won't index your gears. They stop the chain coming off the big/little sprockets. Only use these if when changing gear the chain comes off at the back. When you've indexed the gears and all seem to be changing ok then do a road test to see if they still change ok under stress.

OP
OP
L

Lauris

Update:

I managed fix the skipping which was caused by by the links not being pulled apart fully( fixed)

Issue now is if I put the bike gear into biggest cog, there is a delay by one shift when it moves to next cog.

Which results in the bike not shifting into the smallest cog.

It basically goes like this from biggest cog,

Shift, nothing happens, shift again then it starts to work its way through the cassete. Right up until the last cog which it does not shift into.

Pleas help

the_mikey

Legendary Member
There's a number of possible issues here but at this point it looks simply like the indexing is slightly misaligned, this is possible when changing wheelset as one manufacturers hub won't be identical to another.

This may be solved by adjusting the cable tension on the rear derailleur, there may be a barrel adjuster on the rear derailleur that can be turned clockwise or anti clockwise to solve the problem.

As above, I recommend taking time out now to learn how to index your gears, mastering this will save you a lot of problems in the future.

OP
OP
L

Lauris

There's a number of possible issues here but at this point it looks simply like the indexing is slightly misaligned, this is possible when changing wheelset as one manufacturers hub won't be identical to another.

This may be solved by adjusting the cable tension on the rear derailleur, there may be a barrel adjuster on the rear derailleur that can be turned clockwise or anti clockwise to solve the problem.

As above, I recommend taking time out now to learn how to index your gears, mastering this will save you a lot of problems in the future.

Thanks

Is this in response to my update or original post?

OP
OP
L

Lauris

Yes

So I used cable tensioner.

Once I get one cog spinning right, then the next starts spinning bad.
:C

the simple and easy to follow video,,

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzvfCaIbyQ

weareHKR

It seems like the last smallest cog just won't dial in properly
As the vid above, release the indexing cable & make sure the stops are set correctly, reconnect the cable with the adjuster screwed all the way home.
When fitting the cable pull it fairly taught that will reduce the amount of adjustment required should it need fine-tuning with the tension adjuster. it's all fairly straight forward tbh.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yep it is possible that with the new cassette/wheel combo needing re-indexing that the limit stops need a little adjustment, this is best done with the chain off. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
L

Lauris

UPDATE 2

So I went for a test ride (5mins)

So like I said earlier all gears work well apart from the smallest cog.
I don't use it much :biggrin: but I can hear like *click click click* type of noise.

I am going out today for a 30mile ride which will give me enough time to evaluate more and see of any other issues.

All uphill

Still rolling along
UPDATE 2

So I went for a test ride (5mins)

So like I said earlier all gears work well apart from the smallest cog.
I don't use it much :biggrin: but I can hear like *click click click* type of noise.

I am going out today for a 30mile ride which will give me enough time to evaluate more and see of any other issues.
Sounds to me like the high limit screw needs a small adjustment to allow the chain to sit nicely on the smallest cog.

Top Bottom