New clothes buying

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It occured to me today, as I put away my rewashed wardrobe from my holiday, that I do not posess many clothes. In fact some of them are so old but still presentable, that I think they need carbon dating.

Now it doesn't help that when I put weight on I made a conscious decision not to buy good clothes until I'd lost it. Now I'm very nearly there now, a few months I reckon. So recent clothes are necessary purchases. Yes I am one of those people who buys clothes from Tesco. £15 on a pair of trousers yesterday.

Adding it up I doubt clothes purchases get into double figures per month. I spend more on the kids than me. Am I normal or most definetly abnormal, from a clothes buying perspective that is, I already know I twitch and drool in public.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I possess very few 'new' clothes. My cycling tops and bikesters were bought new, and my jeans, but that was because I just couldn't find a charity shop pair that fitted, when I happened to need them - mostly I can. I wear shoes until they dissolve (trainers). Tee shirts and fleeces and stuff, most are a few years old, or second hand.

So I'm with you, and abnormal, I suspect.

Bigtallfatbloke

I am the same...I live in shorts and cycle gear these days. My best clothes are a pair of torn black stretch jeans and a T shirt...Idont like clothes shopping...but the more weight I loose the more appealing it is getting

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Inspired by this I just chucked some out. I've kept the aspirational "I'll fit back in soon" ones though.

Anyone know the national average clothes spend per person per month. There must be one?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hmm ..:smile: I like new clothes ... I have a few brands I stick with, cos of fit/wear etc, and as they aren't the cheapest I usually wait until the sales to buy it. And then wear it into the ground. Recently returned to the land of employment from looking after kids so its fun feeling I have a bit more to spend.

I keep buying skirts but I then don't wear them much because I cycle every day ... However I don't think I'm one of those naturals who can just wear a sack-cloth and make it look beautiful.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i just wear stuff 'till it wears out. i don't have any aspirations of trying to look like a man in his late thirties trying to look like he's hanging on to his early 20s, so i don't give a flying one if something's in fashion or not, as long as i (and mrsalecetc) like it.

I'm a big fan of outlet villages. That's where I get most of my clothes - I probably go to one 2 or 3 times a year. <ost of my free time I'd rather spend cycling or doing something more interesting than walking around the shops. Ebay is also good once you find a make that fits you.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
alecstilleyedye said:
i just wear stuff 'till it wears out. i don't have any aspirations of trying to look like a man in his late thirties trying to look like he's hanging on to his early 20s, so i don't give a flying one if something's in fashion or not

LOL, sounds just like me

Tescos jeans £3 - few pairs in various states of degredation...
Primark blue t shirts - £1.50 each or so...
M&S socks all the same black 7pr at a time (buying not wearing silly!:smile: )
Odd tops from here and there...
A decent jacket for dog walking and sensible moments.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Kirstie said:
I'm a big fan of outlet villages. That's where I get most of my clothes - I probably go to one 2 or 3 times a year. <ost of my free time I'd rather spend cycling or doing something more interesting than walking around the shops. Ebay is also good once you find a make that fits you.

My wife does virtually all her clothes shopping on e bay. Mostly all next clothes bnwt and most for less than £ 5 inclusing postage. Her buy of last year was a brand new pair of leather boots for less than £ 15

domtyler

Über Member
Not really into designer stuff myself, Marks and Spencer all the way. I don't tend to keep stuff hanging around once I no longer need, like or fit into something though. Straight into the bin.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

The other thing is I have pet hate items that I don't like buying - Trousers, absolutely don't enjoy the process of having to try them on and the cut is so variable as to not be able to tell anything from the label without trying them on.

Whereas jackets; I have a good selection of sensible jackets.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Crackle said:
The other thing is I have pet hate items that I don't like buying - Trousers, absolutely don't enjoy the process of having to try them on and the cut is so variable as to not be able to tell anything from the label without trying them on.

Whereas jackets; I have a good selection of sensible jackets.

Yeah, I agree, jeans are a nightmare - what sort of cut? What leg length? I find they are either too tight, or too long, because I'm pear shaped with short legs. And I don't want a fashionable style, just ordinary, and I want a nice stonewashed mid blue, not some awful trendy design that looks like I've spilt bleach on them. That's why, when I get a pair to fit, I wear them to death.

And as for ladies' sizes - I dunno about you chaps' sizes, but a 14 from one shop is nothing like a 14 from another - it's bloody depressing when you can't get a pair of 14's done up, and you'd really like to be a 12 anyway.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Although I've dropped one size, I'm still wearing my favourite jeans ... they are not getting chucked until they are worn out.

Top Bottom