New commute: Angel-Belvedere

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

azir

Hi all,

I moved house last week and am now trying to finesse my new commute route. I have been commuting between Lewisham and Angel up til now, so I'd imagine my new route will stay mostly the same, but its the bit between Belvedere and Greenwich that I'm not sure about. Basically, I'm imagining staying south of the river until London Bridge (where I cross currently) - or maybe Tower Bridge instead, but I think crossing at Woolwich might be sketchy? I don't like having to dismount for foot tunnels anyway, which also rules Greenwich out). So, what I think I really need to know is how much of a dick the A206 is, and whether I should avoid it like the plague and try for some quieter roads. I've always been quite happy on the A200 between Greenwich/Deptford and London Bridge, so if its similar then that's fine, I just don't really know.

Also, radical new suggestions for entirely different route are also very welcome!

Thanks all :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The Woolwich ferry has been fine and fun when I've used it, plus walking through the tunnel is a backup.

One of the old LCN routes runs along backstreets parallel to the railway line through Abbey Wood and might be worth considering.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I would say if you're happy with the A206/A200 then keep using it. It's a pretty fast route with plenty of bus lanes and is a pretty popular cycling route anyway. You can do the Woolwich ferry which is cycle friendly, however you may have to wait a while for a ferry. The Woolwich tunnel is far quieter then the Greenwich tunnel though you will be still faffing about dragging your bike up and down. If you want to suck in a lungful of car fumes, cycles are allowed through the Rotherhithe Tunnel.
Personally. I would stick with the A206/A200 (And wave when you go by my office at Creekside :hello: )

OP
OP
azir

azir

Cool thanks guys - I'll see how the A206 feels, then if necessary try out Woolwich or just some back ways to Greenwich. My bike has been at work since the move - need to be brave and try to cycle it home one of these days!

Top Bottom