New commute - Lindfield to Lewes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joanna

I'm moving back to Lindfield in September, and so my commute will change - I used to commute from Brighton. Does anyone/has anyone commuted this way, or done a leisure ride? I've only gone from Lindfield to Lewes in a car, and I'm a bit worried that the roads are too narrow, with very high speed traffic. Not sure I've posted this on the right forum btw, so apologies if I have!

I'll be trying it out anyway, but just wondered if anyone has tried it, and has any advice on the route etc.

Thanks!
Joanna

EmilyCC87

Regular
There are lots of ways you can go to avoid the main roads, some very nice country roads which may add a mile or to but would be a lot nicer! I quite often do a route that goes through Walstead, near Chailey, towards Barcombe then you can go the back roads of Hamsey and in to Lewes?? Are you on MapMyRide? If so have a look at some of my routes as I'm sure some of them will cover your route!

Emily x
(Lindfield)

EmilyCC87

Regular
Or...(which might be better) Slugwash Lane to Wivlesfield, then back roads to Plumpton area and in to Lewes that way x

Tim Hall

Emily's second way is the more or less route The Friday's took en route to Newhaven. Slugwash Lane, Wivelsfield Green, pub with Polish War Memorial, Cooksbridge onto A275, past the prison. It has the advantage that it seems to be gently downhill most of the way. This may not seem such a good thing as you go home though.

OP
OP
J

joanna

thanks Emily and Tim, be interesting to find a new route - the A27 to Brighton wasn't ever that interesting!

al78

Guru
thanks Emily and Tim, be interesting to find a new route - the A27 to Brighton wasn't ever that interesting!

I was thinking that sounds insane but having checked the A27 is literally the only way to get from Brighton to Lewes. How did you find cycling along it? I've driven along it and the bit around Brighton is effectively a motorway in all but name.

OP
OP
J

joanna

It's fine because there is a footpath the entire way, from just past Lewes prison to Lewes road in Brighton, which is for cyclists and pedestrians. I have seen some cyclists cycle on the road though, very brave of them. There are other ways to get to Brighton from Lewes - over the downs is lovely, or via Newhaven, or via Ditchling. I always went the quickest way though!

Top Bottom