New Commute, New bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l4dva

Guru
Did my first commute into central London today on my new boardmans road bike.

What a route! What a bike!!! 11 miles in 40 minutes. My average speed was 16mph (up from 11mph on my old Tricross) although this route was pretty much flat all the way, my old commute had a big hill. This is also the first time I'm using a compact chainset (I used to have triple) and it works soo well, most of the journey I was on the big chainring.

Really really impressed with myself for not getting lost and it takes me an hour on the undergound! I absolutly love it!!!

martint235

Dog on a bike
Welcome to cycling in London, always guaranteed to wake you up in a morning!!! xx(

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
Actually - might not be compairing like with like thinking about it.... I think my new computer stops the clock when I stop cycling, I don't think my old one did that. Maybe thats why its so big a jump! But the new carbon bike did feel a lot lot quicker.

I did leave at 6.30am (thinking it would talk about a hour and half) and prob missed some of the traffic as well so that must of helped as well.

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
Team carbon - there is a pic in the "show us your carbon" thread.

Bike need's a few adjustments made, need to get it to a proper lbs I think. Apart from that i love it!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
l4dva said:
Actually - might not be compairing like with like thinking about it.... I think my new computer stops the clock when I stop cycling, I don't think my old one did that. Maybe thats why its so big a jump! But the new carbon bike did feel a lot lot quicker.

I did leave at 6.30am (thinking it would talk about a hour and half) and prob missed some of the traffic as well so that must of helped as well.

aha, that makes sense, coz the Tricross isn't a slow bike, still nicely zippy on the new beast:biggrin:

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
Dose anyone else in london find there bike is covered in black dirt after commutes around london?? After a day or two i find a layer of black dirt on my frame/wheels when you touch the bike it comes straight off on to your hands.... I never used to get that in birmingham... I knew london was a dirty place but didn't think it would be this bad!

DaleB

l4dva said:
Dose anyone else in london find there bike is covered in black dirt after commutes around london?? After a day or two i find a layer of black dirt on my frame/wheels when you touch the bike it comes straight off on to your hands.... I never used to get that in birmingham... I knew london was a dirty place but didn't think it would be this bad!

Just think about your poor lungs!?!?! :eek:

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
l4dva said:

Are you sure that's not brake dust generated from all the stop/starting?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
l4dva said:

yes, but not over a day or so.

A pal of mine also complains of this on his gleaming white bike and he only rides to the station out in Tenterten each day (around 3 miles)

Is it possible that a full carbon bike generates more static electricity thus attracting dust more than a metal frame?

anyone?

London is a filthy place. Horrible.

The good news is that most of it comes off quite easily. Use a soft brush on your bike, then a degreaser, and a hose or bucket & sponge.

Don't forget to oil your chain after, though.

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
I do about 22 miles a day so it's a fair distance, I guess brake dust and the carbon frame attracting more dirt will all add to the huge amounts of pollution in the air as well....

But like Clarion mentioned it comes off easily enough... (i've been using baby wipes lol works a treat!!)

Top Bottom