New Commuter...a few tips on clothes/baggage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use a backpack that I carry everywhere I go, I have a reflective humpback cover so it doubles up as my reflective gear.

I keep my bike lock and a few spares in it at all times on the bike. I carry a new shirt in everyday but leave some trousers and shoes at work.

400bhp

Guru
The more stuff you can leave at work the better.

I have a large cupboard so take the tram/car on Fridays and leave shirts, socks, duds, trousers and towel for the following week and pick up the dirty laundry.

I leave a spare waterproof and overshoes at the office. Plus I leave a spare coat for lunchtimes plus a pair of shoes at work.

I find the above works better for me, in so much as I don't need to carry much clothing on the commute. I tend to forget stuff.

I'm not sure why people insist on wearing new shorts every day, as long as you dry/air them out they will be fine.

Undershorts/boxers/briefs - of course fresh, but that's no different to underwear :tongue: normal shorts will do you for a few days, ignore the uber pansies here :tongue:

Sometimes you might find what you need in the morning is too hot to return in the evening, or the other way around - this makes "not carrying" anything midweek difficult.

400bhp

Guru
Sometimes you might find what you need in the morning is too hot to return in the evening, or the other way around - this makes "not carrying" anything midweek difficult.

Not if you buy the correct stuff and the correct amount.

I have never had an issue.

Not if you buy the correct stuff and the correct amount.

I have never had an issue.

If you go out at <8c and return at >20c then its not as easy - I don't think many people are up for wearing shorts below 8c ish (I can, although I found that leg warmers can easily be packed up into my saddle bag).

lejogger

Guru
The more stuff you can leave at work the better.

Not sure I agree with this. It depends on what you're trying to get out of your commute. Yes, +1 if you're after the easiest ride there and home, but I like to carry weight and use my commutes as training, so when I go out at the weekend with no weight and on a lighter bike, you really feel the benefit of that hard work.

400bhp

Guru
Not sure I agree with this. It depends on what you're trying to get out of your commute. Yes, +1 if you're after the easiest ride there and home, but I like to carry weight and use my commutes as training, so when I go out at the weekend with no weight and on a lighter bike, you really feel the benefit of that hard work.

I hate the weight-doesn't make the commute as enjoyable for me.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Where do you live?!

Wear leggings over shorts and leave the leggings at work.

Tip: check the 24 hr weather (BBC for example) to give a broad outline of weather.

Only a few months ago it was like that. Cold enough in the morning that you need longs and warm enough in the afternoon that you don't.
What do you do the next day when you need longs again?

400bhp

Guru
So you leave them at work - what about the next day?

Wear another pair.

Seriously, there has only been one occasion when I have had to do this. There hasn't been a day this year (where I live) with such extreme termeratures.

It's going to depend upon the length of your commute, but for me I can live with 40mins wearing longs. I get hotter far more up top than down below.

It's been pretty common here... a clear night is cold a clear day is hot...

Another pair assumes you own multiple, and can only so so far unless you have 5 pairs and then I think that is a bit excessive (to leave 4 sets at work).

400bhp

Guru
Well, we have different experiences and that's fine.

I'm lucky in that, because of my place of work, I have a choice on how I commute in by bike.

For a few reasons I don't want to commute 5 days by bike.

Top Bottom