New Commuter With No Money

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
We're all different shapes and sizes and have different elevation profiles. 4 miles is enough to work up a sweat
He’s in Peterborough, think it’s pretty flat around there?

So let's get this right; you work at the same location every day and yet your employer expects you to carry all their crap back and forth and provide storage for it overnight at your house and at your expense? And in return for this they provide you with no proper washing and storage facilities for the stuff you need to come to work with?
I'd tell them to shove their job where the sun don't shine and go and work for someone who treats their employees in a proper manner!

The OP has only stated that there are no showers at work, the company are not obliged to provide showers unless is it extremely dirty work being undertaken. However, by regulation, they do have to provide hot and cold water and wash basins, so the only issue is carrying his work equipment.

A bit harsh to bin your job just because there is nowhere to lock up a laptop (which by the sounds of what the OP is saying, is the only thing that the company is providing for him, the rest is his own personal stuff)

Nufab

Über Member
Sounds like a locker at work would help you out a lot!

I leave trousers and shoes at work, and commute in with a shirt and underwear carefully rolled in my bag.

Obviously we don’t know your workplace, but it might be worth asking for more storage. Plus some companies love to bang on about their green credentials, so it could help them in that way?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Similar arrangments for me. Panniers are definitely more comfortable for carrying that lot, although I tend to just shove everything into a rucksack from Dakine.
I now bring my bike indoors to a secure area so I only carry a D-lock if I'm going to the shops.
Or as others have said, leave a lock at work.

The worst days are when you need to squeeze TWO laptops in your rucksack!

Slick

Guru
What's planking?

And, yeah, pretty sweaty. I'm quite overweight these days.
Sorry, forgot that it was probably a particular Scottish word. ^_^

Planking in this sense is to simply stash whatever you require in a quiet corner of the building where nobody would notice. :thumbsup:

Slick

Guru
We're all different shapes and sizes and have different elevation profiles. 4 miles is enough to work up a sweat
Which is fair enough as I could hardly be described as a svelte cyclist living in the flatlands but I still reckon 4 slow miles is a bit short to work up a sweat on a cold morning commute.

OP
OP
MahatmaAndhi

MahatmaAndhi

I didn't realise that there was a period of approval for newbies. I wasn't ignoring people, just sat here looking at the responses but unable to answer.

I only joined my new job a week ago, so asking for anything out of the ordinary would be a bit much at the moment. I am expected to go between two sites, Peterborough (cycling) and Huntingdon (about 25 miles away - I'll be driving those days). I'm not sure how much time will be spent in each as of yet. After all, I'm still in the induction period.
They are wonderfully flexible with working and I have no complaints at all with that. Taking the Chromebook back and forth is a small price to pay, because if I got a puncture or otherwise couldn't make it in to work (sick child, boiler man coming round etc) then I can work from home with no penalty.

Peterborough is the flattest place in the universe. But I'm not particularly fit. I was fitter last year by several stone and I'm probably touching around 17 now (6-ish foot tall). My average was 11 - 12mph per ride last week, but with all the clobber I thought that wasn't too bad!
This commute by bike is as much about health as it is about saving money and being green.

Slick

Guru
I didn't realise that there was a period of approval for newbies. I wasn't ignoring people, just sat here looking at the responses but unable to answer.

I only joined my new job a week ago, so asking for anything out of the ordinary would be a bit much at the moment. I am expected to go between two sites, Peterborough (cycling) and Huntingdon (about 25 miles away - I'll be driving those days). I'm not sure how much time will be spent in each as of yet. After all, I'm still in the induction period.
They are wonderfully flexible with working and I have no complaints at all with that. Taking the Chromebook back and forth is a small price to pay, because if I got a puncture or otherwise couldn't make it in to work (sick child, boiler man coming round etc) then I can work from home with no penalty.

Peterborough is the flattest place in the universe. But I'm not particularly fit. I was fitter last year by several stone and I'm probably touching around 17 now (6-ish foot tall). My average was 11 - 12mph per ride last week, but with all the clobber I thought that wasn't too bad!
This commute by bike is as much about health as it is about saving money and being green.
Don't worry, we all kinda realised why there was a delay.

Your average speed isn't too shabby to start you off but it's amazing how quickly you can make improvements to it as your fitness improves.

Enjoy your commuting, there's no better start to the day. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom