New commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Whatcha riding RM, where in Peterbough are you ?
Seen a few more commuters, and a handfull on roadbikes or better quality bikes at least.
I often do a loop round Oundle Road, Shrewsbury Avenue, Morley way, Celta Road then back onto Oundle road via London Road. Locals must think i'm nuts..i often do that twice BEFORE work, sometimes three times after work...just to get some miles in.
Back on topic...i think its people pulling their belts in myself. Mind ive seen phases like this before..loads of commuters, then it dies back again.

potsy

Rambler
Our bike racks have filled up this week too, and that's with 2 or 3 of the regulars off their bikes for various reasons.
We have lots of 'occasional' riders who will be seen for a few days and then won't appear again for weeks.

gemsno4

There has been an increase in commuters on my route to Brum. Also noted is the increase in shiny posh bikes rather than the usual commuting stuff. Having said that I came in on posh bike today after tagging a few miles extra on to the route in

when I lived in Brum my commuting would slowly tail off during December. Only to restart in Jan when I realised how much they had put the bus fare up and I was straight back on the bike. The £1.20 to £1.40 rise was particularly good as an incentive - never had enough 20p coins for a start

laertes

Train tickets got very expensive on 2 Jan, which will account for a few extra bikers I would think. My local day ticket to central London has gone up by more than 10%. There were a lot of cycling and commuting stories in the news last year, so maybe there were more bike prezzies than usual.

I started commuting in Jan 09, but that was just a case of finally getting my act together.

Bigsharn

Veteran
There are only 3 cyclists that I know of in our company (one of which is in his 70s and getting a moped soon), out of about 100

Though saying that, I do work for a bus company :tongue:

Rykard

Veteran
I am hoping to join the list of new commuters soon, just waiting for new lights (god knows what I did with my old ones ;-() and getting over a stomach bug. Colleague was hassling me everyday but he has now stopped/given up...
can't wait to surprise him in the next couple of weeks...

adscrim

Veteran
There are still only four at my employers (also a bus company) who commute frequently and that's with the company having rolled out a C2W scheme last summer. And none of the four got a bike on the scheme.

Jezston

Über Member
The types of cyclists I usually see on my commute are:

1. The BSO riding chav. On/off pavement, no lights, seat low, hoodie, smoking a fag etc.
2. The MTB 'casual'. Decent mountain bike - not a Dunlop special, basic lights, regular clothes. Not too quick, often takes pavement shortcuts.
3. The Hybrid Commuter. Flat barred hybrid, ok lights, luminuous jacket, fairly slow, doesn't really look much around them, sometimes RLJs.
4. The Classic Rider. Older lady or gent, suit with h-vis vest or tabard, heavy old tourer with dynamo lights, trouser clips.
5. The Roadie. Modern road bike, full lycra. Usually young-ish (i.e. under 40) but with the occasional MAMIL club group.

Now since things have got a little warmer and the fuel prices have gone up, I have seen a noticeable increase in all of the above, however I have also seen the rise of a new type of cyclist usually unfamiliar to me, which I'm now going to make grossly

6. The Old School Roadie - presumably someone who used to be a keen cyclist who's bike has been relegated to the shed for the last decade or two since having kids and needing to drive everywhere. Now the kids are grown up and they've decided to beat the fuel price increase, they've dusted off the old fella, got some new clothes for christmas, and hit the road. Good on 'em!

Top Bottom