1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New cranks

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by somekindofwizard, 21 Nov 2007.

1. somekindofwizard

somekindofwizard New Member

Hey there,

My left hand crank felt a bit wobbly today and when i had a look at it found it was just about to drop off.

Hence needing a new crank, i have been looking at this one http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7768 as i like having 48 teeth on the big ring plus it comes with a matching BB. Unfortunately i know nothing abuot bottom brackets sizes and was wondering if anyone knew if they are all standard? Would this crank fit a marin muirwood?

Cheers all!

2. vbc

vbc Guest

Forgive me for stating the obvious but are you sure you need a complete new chainset or is it simply a matter of re-attaching the left hand crank arm properly?

3. Too late to re-attach the LH crank I fear, the damage has been done. If the bike is less than a year old return it to the LBS whence it came for a new one under warranty. A generic LH crank may be had for eight pounds or thereabouts, finding one which is a direct replacement to match the original may require special ordering.

4. OP
    OP
    somekindofwizard

somekindofwizard New Member

Like Mickle said, it is far too late now, got a bike shop to tighten it up as the tool i commute with didn't have a key that big, was loose again in a couple of miles.

The bike is a couple of years old and I have been putting off replacing the whole drive for a while as the cassette is a bit worn as well (see the other thread about cassettes and replacing too late!) so I was thinking of upgrading the whole lot as i like the bike and it fits me really well. Really just need to know about the bottom bracket sizing and if they are all of a standard size!

ta!

5. same as all that have said it before me.