1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New crankset required soon

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Elmer Fudd, 14 Aug 2007.

1. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Currently have an OE Suntour crankset (28/38/48) that is nearly on its last legs.
    I don't want to spend a fortune as bike only cost me c£250.
    Shimano tell me on their website that front DR will only cope with 20T difference from large to small although I would love to go something like 30/42/52. Is that possible ?
    I'm looking at this (LBS has 1 in stock) if going slightly bigger is not an option. Is there any other 28/38/48 cranksets I should be looking at ?
    BTW its a hybrid bike I use for commuting / leisure with some v gentle off road (track)
    TIA

Ooops ! I forgot to mention 21 speed, 11/28 rear

2. starseven

starseven Guest

The Nexave will provide solid service for years, its tough steel with plastic trim.

The 48 outer ring triple chainsets are a bit thin on the ground.

53 being road or 50 road compact, then you go to 42 and 44 MTB chainsets.

Shimano do some xt 48 triples for about £100 or so but theres not much in between them an the £20 nexave. No doubt someone will turn up a truvitav job or something but unless you are happy to spend an extra £100 you are unlikely to get much better than the nexave.

3. Elmer Fudd

Cheers starseven, I'll get the nexave this w/end then, and just wait for this one to (nearly) die.
    new chain as well, that'll be fun !

4. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

you know that you'll need to replace the rear cogs too?

5. dondare

dondare Über Member

6. Elmer Fudd

Yeah 20", got that already !