New cross frame - Ridley ?

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by colint, 13 Jul 2007.

1. colint

colint New Member

My cross frame has quite a big ding in one of the rear stays, so looking for a new one. Currently have a PX Uncle John, budget is about 500-600. Was considering the Ridley Crosswing, 2006 model on sale for £450 (£250 off), but a few reviews I've read complained that the BB was too high

I thought a high bb would be a good thing on a crosser. Any thoughts on the Ridley or alternatives ?

Thanks

2. Big T

Big T Über Member

No experience of Ridleys.

My lad, who is quite good at cross, has previously ridden Uncle John - which was both light and stable and great VFM at around £300-£400 for the frame. Also ridden Crosslight Pro4 (not the EVO with the carbon rear end), another good light frame, but the forks tend to judder a bit when braking. Also had a Giant TCX, similar to the Crosslight but the forks don't seem to judder.

High BB is a good idea, you don't want to be bashing your pedal on roots, etc. I don't think it would affect the handling too much.

3. papercorn2000

papercorn2000 Senior Member

http://www.xacd.com.cn/product.asp?rootcl=1&cls=1

Try this. Its about $US650 for a frame (good with current exchange rates) and you can specify all sorts of extras. Its the same factory as Setavento get their bikes, there are a few people on the forum who have them and they are apparently very good!

4. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

The BB is high on a Ridley. It's good in that you are sat high with lots of control and clearance; but it is harder to hop on!

5. jpembroke

jpembroke New Member

Why not another Uncle John? I ask because I've got one of these, too and I'm still undecided about its design. It's got quite an odd geometry for a cross bike (high BB, long wheelbase, long headtube, consequent lack of standover clearance). However, it does roll over uneven ground well, is comfortable and seems to climb well. As I say, still not sure about it. I guess it's more of an all rounder than an out and out race machine.

6. Otto

Otto New Member

Have a look at a Viner if you can I hve a Viner Supercross...very good

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice