1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Cycle Lane - And A Welcome One!

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Regulator, 10 Dec 2007.

1. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

Has anyone else noticed the new mandatory (as in cars keep out rather than cyclists must use) cycle lane that has appeared under Admiralty Arch? I'm not normally a fan but I must admit it is damn convenient on my commute.

The only problem is there was a motorbike and a black cab stopped in it this morning. What we need is a little enforcement....

2. Evilcat

Evilcat Senior Member

Not seen it yet, but I'll change back my usual route to include it. Hopefully it will make getting through the arch with two full panniers a tad easier.

EC

3. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

And it's a wide one - almost a metre... :tongue:

4. Just noticed it this morning, mainly because there wasn't the usual queue of traffic there. I suspect it'll end up getting ignored though as it's forcing all the traffic into one lane. If it's enforced it'll be an excellent idea as the timing on the lights means that any traffic waiting under the arc won't get out first time so it makes no difference if there's 2 lanes or one lane queuing there. Maybe a motorbike lane (if space allowed) put on the right would put an end to all nobs on scooters trying to use the cycle lane and blocking up the ASL.

5. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

t'is very annoying.

There's a very useful contra-flow cycle path down the side of the Mailbox in Birmingham. There's an 80% chance of there being either a delivery lorry or some woman dropping her bloke off at work parked in it every morning. So you're forced out into the opposing traffic.

6. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

bits and bobs of cycle appearing on my route, all shiny and new and generous

and some foul potholes repaired, I get the distinct impression that someone is trying