new cycle lane in Stevenage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-19884730

okay, some idiotic road painting here but what gets me is the way people blindly follow the road markings and are walking in those narrow bits at the edge.
there really is only one word for it.
sheeple.
pete

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The pedestrians are acting like sheep and whoever decided that the lines are needed clearly thinks that cyclists will choose to crash into barriers unless there is a magic white line there to stop them! Perhaps it is help them navigate across the bridge in thick fog? :whistle:

Lee_M

Guru
"The lines are not intended to form pedestrian lanes, nor pedestrian exclusion zones. They are guidance for cyclists. "

guidance for what? " dont crash into the barriers"?

trampyjoe

Those peds are not normal. In my experience normal peds ignore cycle paths.

brucers

Guru
Methinks a jobsworth hat needs awarding. Someone or a group of someones (at the council I assume) discussed this and concluded it was a good idea - that perhaps is the even bigger worry!

How weird.

Put a line down the middle, clearly mark it for cyclists one side, pedestrians the other, and people will walk 8-abreast across the whole bridge and moan about the cyclist "menace" should anyone wish to ride past them.

Make it really awkward and they will tippy-toe along the edge as if the white line were electrified.

I can only deduce that people just prefer to feel inconvenienced in some way; either by the cyclist in the first instance, or the white line in the second. Just being sensible is too dull and boring.

MGBLemonrider

a non story of DM proportions.
The picture shows one person walking down the left hand side of the path ( astride the line) in a normal/sensible manner and the second appears to have stopped to have her photograph taken - could you stand there a bit closer to the railing. This was obviously the best picture that they could get to illustrate the point!
Needless usage of paint ( the verge markings) The bollards have dual usage signs on them. If the cycle was a bit further back it could be to remind the foot traffic that came up the steps ( from the new town) that cycles might come up the ramp behind them.
I don't cycle across this bridge and agree that normally pedestrians have a preference for the tarmac cycle paths over the adjacent uneven paving slab foot paths, despite being separated by grassed strip, around the town.
Overall I like and use the town's cycle lane provision in the areas built pre 1990!

Top Bottom