new cycler, stuck between 2 bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

resuqa

Hello. sorry if this question is not worded not very good as this is my first time posting a question here, and idk what info to provide

i was looking to change from my btwin rockrider 340 to a roadbike, and I'm stuck between 2 options: triban 300 and triban T3, with the 300 being cheaper

i do not have any experience buying bikes as I have only bought 1, and I do not have any experience with roadbikes, although I am looking forward to getting some experience with them

I'm also 175cm long, idk if that helps or not, if you want more info, you can ask me

Tommohawk

Get the best you can afford and that is currently available.

si_c

Guru
Not really sure of the difference between the two, a quick google would lead me to believe you're looking at second hand bikes, but I'm unsure of their age or specification.

It would help us to help you if you could post some links to the bikes you are looking at as @Cycleops suggests, certainly a few photos would be helpful.

In the absence of that and depending on how much of a price difference and how much your budget is, my suggestion is to go with the one that looks like it's been taken better care of and the better specification (9 speed is better than 8 speed for example). Failing that, whichever one you think looks better!

OP
OP
R

resuqa

Not really sure of the difference between the two, a quick google would lead me to believe you're looking at second hand bikes, but I'm unsure of their age or specification.

It would help us to help you if you could post some links to the bikes you are looking at as @Cycleops suggests, certainly a few photos would be helpful.

In the absence of that and depending on how much of a price difference and how much your budget is, my suggestion is to go with the one that looks like it's been taken better care of and the better specification (9 speed is better than 8 speed for example). Failing that, whichever one you think looks better!
https://www.sahibinden.com/ilan/iki...twin-triban-300-yol-bisikleti-944041174/detay
https://www.sahibinden.com/ilan/iki...win-triban-t3-yaris-bisikleti-935971919/detay
Here are the links, although they're in Turkish, photos are available. and yes, they're 2nd hand
Triban 300 is 165 dollars/140 euro/120 pounds and is from 2016
T3 is 200 dollars/170 euro/145 pounds and is from 2013, and has been used less allegedly

Any more info you'd like?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Both bikes are broadly similar. Aluminium frame with steel fork and triple chainset.
The T3 looks like it had a fair bit of use judging from the large chainring, the 300 not so much.
You need to check them over. Ride them and make sure the gears work smoothly with no slipping. Check the wheels are true with no loose spokes. Look at the rims, are they okay or looking a bit thin and worn. Tyres are worn? Hold the front brake on and push the bars back and forth, any play here might mean a new headset or adjustment.
Similarly with crank, pull it to feel for play and wear. Small amount is okay.
None of the foregoing are deal breakers but can be used as a bargaining tool in negotiations. Prices sound reasonable.
You should replace cables as a matter of course.
If you replace the chain it may slip which may mean you need to replace the rear cassette or chainrings as well, or both.

Good luck, and :welcome: to CC

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

resuqa

Both bikes are broadly similar. Aluminium frame with steel fork and triple chainset.
The T3 looks like it had a fair bit of use judging from the large chainring, the 300 not so much.
You need to check them over. Ride them and make sure the gears work smoothly with no slipping. Check the wheels are true with no loose spokes. Look at the rims, are they okay or looking a bit thin and worn. Tyres are worn? Hold the front brake on and push the bars back and forth, any play here might mean a new headset or adjustment.
Similarly with crank, pull it to feel for play and wear. Small amount is okay.
None of the foregoing are deal breakers but can be used as a bargaining tool in negotiations. Prices sound reasonable.
You should replace cables as a matter of course.
If you replace the chain it may slip which may mean you need to replace the rear cassette or chainrings as well, or both.

Good luck, and :welcome: to CC
Thank you very much! I'll probably try them out soon, I'll post how the '''results''' here if I remember it!

si_c

Guru
From looking at those listings (ExpressVPN is surprisingly helpful!) it looks like my supposition that the T3 is an earlier version of the Triban 300 is probably correct. The T3 has probably been used slightly less - certainly it is much cleaner (the hood of the gear levers on the Triban 300 are filthy) but other than that I suspect that the frames and wheels are identical with different paint for the years of manufacture.

I don't think you can go wrong particularly with either of them at the price they are being advertised at (~£120 and £150 for UK viewers), so I recommend you give them both a ride and see which feels best to you.

Things to look out for - if you wiggle the cranks is there any excessive movement from side to side? That would be needing a bearing service. Same for the wheels, if you move them side to side it should feel stiff like you are bending the rim, if it feels easy then the bearings in the wheel are probably in need of a service.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
If you are 175cm or 5ft 9” tall then both the bikes you are looking at unfortunately are too small. You need to be looking at bikes around 54cm not 48cm.

Top Bottom