New Dawes Galaxy Classic

Do you use bar end gear shifters on your touring bike?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Polite

Über Member
I currently ride a Galaxy (the blue one) but I have fallen in love with the new Galaxy Classic (the green one). The bar end gear shifters are the only thing that puts me off the Classic, being so used to the dual brake/gear shift leavers on my current bike.

I would love to hear your thoughts on;

- pros/cons of bar end gear shifters
- the new Dawes Classic

Although I've had my current bike a few years now, I am so smitten with this new one that .........you never know!

Thanks in advance.
image.jpg
image.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Very nice, though personally I'd lower the brake levers down the drops and fit 'cross top' levers as well.
Been after a Galaxy frame for years but never found one when I could afford to buy one and I would fit the 'Bar end shifters' I've got in the shed.

Slioch

Guru
I've got a 10 year old Galaxy with bar end shifters, and road bikes with "brifters".

To be honest, I have no issues with switching between the two systems, and enjoy the contrast in riding style they give me. I.e. When I'm in all day "bimbling" mode on the Galaxy moving my hands to the bar ends to shift feels "right", but when I'm on a fast run on my roadie the brifters feel right. Horses for courses I guess.

Although the Classic looks great, you seem to have a perfectly decent Galaxy already. Why would you want to change it?

OP
OP
Polite

Polite

Über Member
@Slioch There's absolutely no valid reason whatsoever for me to change it other than I have fallen in love with the Classic. I think if I did change then I'd stick to the Classic forever *he says to justify thinking of getting it*

jay clock

Massive member
I hate the bar end ones. My tourer is flat bar though

reasons for hatred are a) thigh stabbing tendencies b) lack of easy access for rapid changes on the climbs, c) lack of protection from damage in air travel

Slioch

Guru
@Slioch There's absolutely no valid reason whatsoever for me to change it other than I have fallen in love with the Classic. I think if I did change then I'd stick to the Classic forever *he says to justify thinking of getting it*

Ah I see....."it was a crime of passion, M'lud". :smooch:

No jury on earth would argue with that, so just go ahead and buy it. You know it makes sense in the long run.

Penmere

I think bar end shifters are considered better for travel in more remote areas. More reliable and or easier to repair should things go wrong

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm no expert, but lots of Dawes tourers are now called Galaxy.

My concern would be the new bike is lower in overall spec than the one you have.

The frame, for example, looks a bit different, so it might be heavier or not use such high grade steel.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
that looks like a Galaxy of old...very nice

OP
OP
Polite

Polite

Über Member
I'm no expert, but lots of Dawes tourers are now called Galaxy.

My concern would be the new bike is lower in overall spec than the one you have.

The frame, for example, looks a bit different, so it might be heavier or not use such high grade steel.
I think the frame is better quality on the new "Classic" - Reynolds 631 - whereas the other components are fairly similar. My only concern are the gear shifters, just don't think I could use them because my bike is a workhorse that does the daily commute and errands, too, as well as touring.

KneesUp

Guru
I have bar-end shifters and find them very easy to use. It's my only bike, and so gets used for everything I use a bike for. I've never had 'brifters' but I understand that indexing on a front triple can be result in annoying rubbing unless it's adjusted just so. As I'm not one for accuracy, it's a pleasure to be able to adjust the front derailleur as I ride because it's not indexed. The rear shifter is indexed, although you can also pop it into friction mode very easily. There is almost nothing that can go wrong with them, so they will last forever. I think there are four parts per changer (lever, bit that mounts into the bar, indexing/spacer plate depending on side and a bolt to hold it all together)

I could never get comfortable in the hoods on non-aero brake levers, although that might have been the fault of Weinman's tendency to leave them bare metal!

outlash

also available in orange
I have a bar end shifter (j tek) for the Alfine hub on my day one and I really like it. Nice positive gear change and simple to use. I liken it to using clipless shoes/pedals in that you have to give yourself a second to think about it before to use it.

Tony.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I had a Galaxy with bar end shifters and never had a problem with them. At one time none of my bikes had a common gear changing system. I had bar ends, brifters, twist grip and flat bar mounted thumb shifters. Like @outlash I found that the bar end shifters encouraged a more leisurely approach to gear shifting, not really a problem when leisurely touring/riding but might be if mixing it with other cyclists in a sprint finish. There's also the option of switching to friction changing if the indexing goes out of adjustment and fettling the indexing at the end of a ride.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

Why not retro fit bar end shifters to your current Galaxy? You'll save a fortune.

Top Bottom