New Forest 100 mile sportive 2020 - how are these events run?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
So - I did it (kind of!!).

I attempted the Epic route on the Saturday setting off at 8.10am. Registration was really quick and easy and Covid secure. The only issue I had was that the entrance/ exit road was incredibly dry and dusty. The bike was coated in thick dust. I had a really good pace (for me!) initially and got to the Epic turn off (40 miles) at 11:15. Then it got *hard*. Really *hard*. Sadly by 5.20pm I had only reached the final feed stop with 10 miles to go :wacko:. Had to accept a lift to the finish line (the event requires that riders complete by 17:30) :cry:. But still 90 miles is now my new personal best. I just needed another hour...!

It was a great event though. The people were lovely, everyone looking out for one another. Feed stations were well stocked with gels, bars, bananas, soreen bars, haribo, lotus biscoffs, crisps etc and water or electolyte water to refil your bottle(s).

Anyway - I got up the following day and went with my daughter on the Short route, which was also lovely (mostly), although there was a *lot* of traffic on the Sunday, and quite a few ***holes behind the wheel. A few surprisingly busy / fast roads to go down as well considering the number of youngsters on the Short Route. The dort greatly enjoyed the section through the New Forest proper where we had to negotiate numerous ponies, donkeys and cows. (The cars had a much harder job - particularly with the Donkeys who were clearly enjoying winding them up by blocking the roads as much as possible).

Great weather both days however which was nice!!

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well done.

icowden

Veteran
Thanks. I still feel a bit disappointed that I didn't get the century but at least I now have a measure of how hard it is, especially as a solo rider. I was joined for a bit at one point by a young chap who'd overdone it and burned out, but he was still too quick for me by that point! The only people slower than me were a group of older riders with bad knees. They went AWOL however. Organisers just couldn't find them! I presume they gave up and made their own way home.

I almost kept pace with the madman on the ultra-fat tyred bike. He beat me at the end though. I just had *nothing* left.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
But at least you gave it a go. Its all good experience for your next similar ride. Getting a PB mileage wise is no mean feat. And you went riding the next day..so Chapeau to you Sir.

Top Bottom