New Forest Classic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
They used to run their Isle of Wight route from there, and a different non-wiggle sponsored New Forest ride out.
Makes sense. To be honest I preferred it to the Somerley Estate as it allowed for a nicer route, and the car wasn't coated with 3 tonnes of med from trying to get to the drop off.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi folks. It has been suggested that the side discussion about road surfaces and resurfacing might make a good topic of its own so that has been moved to a new thread here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-state-of-the-roads.274391/

DRHysted

Guru
Makes sense. To be honest I preferred it to the Somerley Estate as it allowed for a nicer route, and the car wasn't coated with 3 tonnes of med from trying to get to the drop off.
I’ve not been to Somerley Estate, quite liked Gang Warily as it’s only 11 miles from home, so no need for the car at all. But it’s tight for space, so not good for large gatherings.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Somerley is beautiful but the start site is down a very long dirt road, so when there has been dry weather, every bike and car is coated in a thick layer of brown dust by the time you get to the car park (unless your bike is inside the car). Gang Warily is also better for me as the in-laws are, like you, about 10 miles away. Somerley takes about 50 minutes instead of 25.

shnjmsn

Über Member
Somerley is beautiful but the start site is down a very long dirt road, so when there has been dry weather, every bike and car is coated in a thick layer of brown dust by the time you get to the car park (unless your bike is inside the car). Gang Warily is also better for me as the in-laws are, like you, about 10 miles away. Somerley takes about 50 minutes instead of 25.

Agreed ! Done several from there over the years, great location and start/finish point with lots of space, its just that dusty track is horrible ! first one I've missed for a while in this location, but still plan to do the 100 in September as per usual ^_^

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Agreed ! Done several from there over the years, great location and start/finish point with lots of space, its just that dusty track is horrible ! first one I've missed for a while in this location, but still plan to do the 100 in September as per usual ^_^

I'm skipping that one as the BiL is doing his Iron Man that weekend so we will be going to cheer him on. It's fair to say that we have very different cycling speeds.
I was very pleased to complete the 57.61 mile medium route in 4 hours and 45 minutes. He was moderately happy to complete the 78.72 mile route in 4 hours and 25 mins!! if we had been on the same, day he would have overtaken me :eek:

Top Bottom