England : Hampshire New Forest Ride 100

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
HI All,

The BiL and I took part in the New Forest Ride 100 yesterday on the Standard (59 mile) route, so I thought I'd review it for anyone thinking about doing it next year.

The ride departs from Somerley Estate in Ringwood, which is lovely, but a little tricky to find your way into. Some extra signage would have been useful. Once in and dropped off we made our way up to the base camp, parked up and found the queue for registration. This was probably the weakest area of the event.

The organisers were strict with the timings, so although it looked like all the epic riders had departed before 8.50 no registration from standard was allowed until 8.50 on the dot, so a huge queue snaked through the grounds. Once 8.50 arrived it only took 15 minutes or so for the queue to zoom through - registration was non-fussy and just a matter of picking up your labels.

Having labelled up we then joined the start queue. That lasted for a while. We left at 9.45 with loads of people still behind us. If you want to get away at 9, you need to turn up really EARLY! Strangely they can't have done the maths. Fair enough they were releasing about 40 bikes at a time then waiting two or 3 minutes, but there was no way they could process all the standard riders betwen the stated 9am and 9.50am.

The ride itself was lovely. Lots of friendly people and mostly friendly cars (although we had one D***h*** that did a close pass on several riders). We were lucky to get a lovely sunny day that didn't get too hot. This is a ride that is very exposed in places so bad weather could make it an awful slog. The countryside is beautiful and we saw ponies, cows, highland cattle and wild donkeys all wandering about.

One chap decided to try and belt round the front of a new forest pony that had decided to cross the road. He very much lost the race and nearly came off his bike - he obviously didn't read the rules!

There were only 2 rest stops, one at 23 miles and one at 50 miles (the 50 miler is further out than you would like due to logistical reasons I think). Both had fresh bananas, crisps, cakes, gels and jellybeans to keep us going,

The company was very friendly, although I do wonder whether some streaming would benefit the event (based on your idea of pace). I got zoomed past quite a lot! Me and the "Fat lass at the back" (her t-shirt slogan - not my description!) did a lot of good natured place swapping. Although she was well in front of me by the end so a new slogan very much needed there.

There are two parts I found gruelling. At about mile 35ish there is a road which appears flat but feels uphill and your brain spends a lot of time arguing with your legs. It then goes into a demanding but small climb. My knee went just before the top, so it was the only part that I walked. Having done that and recovered on the downhill you then turn a corner into the longest straightest most open road in history. It goes on FOREVER. It's flat but feels like you aren't getting anywhere as it goes on and on. I wished I had some music with me at that stage.

Some parts you are completely alone occasionally. At Brockenhurst I thought I must have gone wrong as I didn't see anyone for ages.

Cattle grids were a new first for me and I now have two numb fingers on my right hand, Boy those things rattle you.

I'd totally recommend it as a reasonably flat sportive, especially if you like seeing lots of wild / free roaming animals, but cross your fingers for good weather. I came in at just under 5 hours - faster than I thought. The BiL beat me by an hour!

The post-finish facilities were excellent. The BiL enjoyed a massage, the whole family triumphed at the lucky dip loot wheel (some seriously good prizes to be won - lights, locks, helmets, tshirts, socks and a box of goodies as the jackpot prize (many jackpots available).

Many also enjoyed the real ale stall and food stalls post finish.
Plenty of toilets both at the start/finish and at the feed stops too.

Last edited:
That’s exactly all the reasons I’ll never do an event like that, nicely presented. The new forest, is one of my main stomping grounds. I’ve got lots of 100 mile ( and over ) routes, committed to memory, there’s less than zero chance I’d ever pay to ride on those roads.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That’s exactly all the reasons I’ll never do an event like that, nicely presented. The new forest, is one of my main stomping grounds. I’ve got lots of 100 mile ( and over ) routes, committed to memory, there’s less than zero chance I’d ever pay to ride on those roads.
So people should come rob your memory. Got it. Thanks ;)

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
For the avoidance of doubt, the event is open to both those who are familiar with the New Forest and those who are not.
It isn't that expensive and frankly between the goody bag and the sponsored lucky dip, we probably came away with goodies worth as much as the entrance fee!

Top Bottom