New forum software update

Shaun

Founder
The new forum software has now been tested by our volunteer group and the feedback I've had has been a real help. There's still plenty of work to do, but most of the testers who've given me feedback seem to have found it easy enough to get on with.

The beta stage is nearly over and I expect it will be released as stable in the next few weeks. Once this happens, work should begin on the custom site theme I have comissioned - giving CC a really unique look and feel. (The designer didn't want to code it until the software was finalised).

There are quite a few differences, which you'll get to figure out for yourselves when I give you all a preview, but here are some teasers:
  • PMs work as conversations - Private messages no longer work in isolation. They are shown to you just like a forum thread, which makes it easier to follow the flow of conversation.
  • Live chat (up to 20 people) - A chatbox is included in the new forum software so you can chat in real-time with fellow CC'ers. You can also have private one-to-one chats too.
  • Photo Galleries - A proper photo gallery system with notes and user comments will be made available to members. (This is intended to replace the Gallery forum).
  • Faster Searching - Fast searching using Sphinx database indexing.
  • Blogs - Your very own CC blog.
  • Integrated Link Directory - Allows you to directly suggest web site links, and shows a thumbnail of the site alongside the listing. (This is intended to replace the Link Suggestions forum and current web directory software).
  • FB, Twitter, and email a friend - Facebook and Twitter integration (as well as other social sites), and a link to email threads or posts to a friend. (These need more testing though).
I expect to have a public preview ready for you all within 4-6 weeks.

This will give you a chance to use the new software and become familiar with how it all works and where the various features and links are.

After that, I will set aside a weekend and begin the process of transferring everything over. (I'll post more about this nearer the time.)

Cheers,
Shaun :becool:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
blimey! You're making me feel old and insecure, Shaun!

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
I'm also working on a Downloads section too where we can swap GPS / PDF route files, mobile apps., product manuals, and other cycling related files. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Gerry Attrick said:
Could we please have an automated tea and cake provision too?:smile:

I think the default install only offers water and dry crackers. I'll see if there's a "bun" upgrade ... :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Some of the beta testers used a mobile as part of the testing ... I wasn't one of them ... so perhaps one of them could reply. (I've been lazy/busy recently and haven't done any more testing recently:blush:)

mangaman

jonesy said:
How will the new software work via a mobile?

I've been using it via an Android and it's better than the current forum on the same phone.

Much easier to navigate around I find - it's really good all round I'd say on all platforms I've tried.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
mangaman said:
Much easier to navigate around I find - it's really good all round I'd say on all platforms I've tried.

I should have said that in my reply ... I'm the village idiot when it comes to computers and yet I successfully found my way around the new site and extra features.

mangaman

summerdays said:
I should have said that in my reply ... I'm the village idiot when it comes to computers and yet I successfully found my way around the new site and extra features.

I agree summerdays, and I've been impressed by your embracing of the new site :biggrin:

I think you've tried everything.

mangaman

summerdays said:
What ... you are agreeing with me that I'm the village idiot ... thanks:biggrin:

No - on the contrary - you've been the best tester as far as I can see, as you've looked at things from all angles.

As to you being the village idiot, I don't know - we've never met :biggrin:

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
I've installed the Tapatalk client on the new forums, which one of the beta testers has tried with their iPhone and it seems to work okay. It works on a few other mobile platforms too.

I wasn't keen to install it here when I was asked a while ago, however it seems robust enough now so will be added to the final production install of the new forums.

For those who don't have access to Tapatalk, the new forum software will also auto-detect some mobile platforms and use a minimal / functional theme that makes it easier to use on phones (although you have to swap it back when you login with your PC ... :biggrin:).

Cheers,
Shaun :smile:

Top Bottom