New front door required...advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
DON'T go for plastic. It's aesthetically horrible and overpriced. Have a careful look at the steel-clad composite doors on the market; they come in all kinds of styles. We fitted one at the back where it is exposed to alternating westerlies with rain and wind then hot sunshine and it is really excellent. It's strong, stable, weatherproof and well insulated. Ours is grooved to look like planks but they come in all kinds of designs. We did have to get a new frame fitted, which was made by a local firm to suit the door and the enclosure. Send me a PM if you'd like to see photos of the before and after.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
simon l& and a half said:
You see, that's what worries me. Plastic doors are supposed to be inert. What I'm getting at is this - it might not be the door. It might be the house. Sorry.

One advantage of a hardwood door (and windows) is that you can plane them if your house is of a certain non-orthogonal persuasion. Softwood doors and windows shouldn't, under any circumstances, be planed. The preservative is only in the outer few millimetres.

Simon, appreciate what you're saying, it may be the house moving but I dont think so. The draft-proofing of the door and its gappiness was partly dealt with by seals (a type no longer available), but however you look at it it's a poor fit...perhaps I'll take photos. Our neigbours suffer pretty much the same problems and they have tried adding new seals etc. Those that have had their doors replaced (5 houses out of 10 in our cul-de-sac) say it was a worthwhile investment.

We're going to re-decorate and re-floor the hall anyway, so no worries about disturbing the decor!

Top Bottom