New front fork Scott Sportster P5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Schneil

Veteran
HI all

I currently ride a Scott Sportster P5. It's done 3500 miles in all weathers and is my current commuting hack with mudguards and panniers.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/sportster-p5-2010-hybrid-bike-ec020674#features

It has a Suntour suspension fork, which doesn't have a lock-out. I think with wear it's getting a little soft. I currently have it set to the stiffest setting, but find it a bit 'boingy' and I'm sure it's sapping energy and speed.

I'd like to upgrade the fork. Most of my riding is road, but I'd still like to keep the bikes off road capabilities.

So. Is it best to get a better suspension fork, or go with a very foregiving rigid fork?
If so, which one? I'd like it to have v-brake and disc mounts. (I currently ride v's, but would like to keep the disc option open).

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I'd like to upgrade the fork. Most of my riding is road, but I'd still like to keep the bikes off road capabilities.

So. Is it best to get a better suspension fork, or go with a very foregiving rigid fork?

Imho, for offroad purpose it is a waste of time/money to choose between more or less "forgiving" rigid forks. Damon Rinard as well as others have performed deflection tests on such and the range of difference is of the order of 1mm, which in the scheme of things pales into insignificance compared to what gloves/grips/saddle, tyre size and tyre pressure etc. can do.

If I were you, I would either get a set of suitable rigid alloy* 700c mtb forks and put a larger/balloon tyre on, or get better suspension forks. The latter is likely more expensive and heavier than the former, and whether it is worth it will depend on your offroad requirements.

* I would avoid carbon for a commuting hack

Top Bottom