New garage roof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
As mentioned elsewhere, I have two garages. One is a proper garage, and one I believe started out life as a carport, albeit a solidly constructed one, eg..

IMG_20230417_111529959.jpg

The roof is pretty tired and now quite fragile where UV has attacked it over the aeons. It is leaking slightly in places and I'm fearful that the next storm, or any passer by doing a fart of sufficient strength, will damage it severely...

IMG_20230417_111517137.jpg

So time for a new roof! I can't afford crafsment of the @JhnBssll calibre (well, I could but I'm so tight I squeak) so I am going to DIY it.

If you need any roofing nails or washers, I have a bunch.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Tune in to catch the next thrilling episode and find out if our hero plunges to his death when he falls through the roof/off his ladder, or if the fall just results in a trip to A&E where we get to hear in minute detail about the long and painful treatment and recovery in the ongoing posts that will run on for the next few months.......

Edit: Nearly forgot.... :rolleyes:

Fastpedaller

Tune in to catch the next thrilling episode and find out if our hero plunges to his death when he falls through the roof/off his ladder, or if the fall just results in a trip to A&E where we get to hear in minute detail about the long and painful treatment and recovery in the ongoing posts that will run on for the next few months.......

Edit: Nearly forgot.... :rolleyes:

Ooh that's too real - One of my customers fell through his doing exactly the same job and ended up with a very badly cut head and concussion. Do take all care Drago!

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I will, thanks Fasters. Indeed, a good friend of mine fell off a ladder just after crimbo and I've vowed this will be the last time I go up a ladder myself.

Tools on stand by, and array of precision hammers, crowbars and angle grinders. I also have some System of a Down CDs ready as I think some calming music will be conducive to a quality job.

Weather permitting - the forecast is good - tomorrow will be the day.

Top Tip: Ladders: Always put your charged phone in your pocket or on the ground next to where you are going to fall.

postman

Legendary Member
Take care only last summer it was suggested I might like to think about recovering the in laws shed roof which is like a mini garage.I was 72,there are two younger males in this family who do fook all.So the plan was remove layers of old felting three sheets in some places,who gets shut of that me,bigger off.One side of the large garage sized hut is only reachable from next doors garden,so me trampling all over their plants,it's not happening,I threw a deaf one,it has not been brought up since.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I will, thanks Fasters. Indeed, a good friend of mine fell off a ladder just after crimbo and I've vowed this will be the last time I go up a ladder myself.

Tools on stand by, and array of precision hammers, crowbars and angle grinders. I also have some System of a Down CDs ready as I think some calming music will be conducive to a quality job.

Weather permitting - the forecast is good - tomorrow will be the day.

Audio record the install. No swear-words or tantrums = not trying hard enough.

Genius idea parking said new components infront of ‘toy’ you want access to. Either that; or you and your old roof are both screw-loose 😉

Good luck !

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Sun is out now and it's all I can do to stop myself getting stuck in, but I'll be sensible and wait until tomorrow. I have given the old stuff an experimental poke with a broom handle which has confirmed my fears out it being critically brittle.

Top Bottom