New Glasgow commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoshM

I may be shifting coasts in the near future and swapping Fife for slightly West of Glasgow. At present I'm looking at Kilbirnie/Beith and Port Glasgow. Can anyone shed any light on the 2 locations re: cycle commuting or just general road cycling?

@Pat "5mph" @glasgowcyclist?

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I may be shifting coasts in the near future and swapping Fife for slightly West of Glasgow. At present I'm looking at Kilbirnie/Beith and Port Glasgow. Can anyone shed any light on the 2 locations re: cycle commuting or just general road cycling?

@Pat "5mph" @glasgowcyclist?
Any info needed in Port Glasgow(home town) to Linwood areas, just ask:okay:
PM or otherwise.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Thanks @Bobby Mhor. I should probably have said, I'd be commuting to Cardonald, not far from the Queen Elizabeth.
From say, Port Glasgow..
NCN 75 is your route...then NCN 7.
From Kilbirnie/Beith,
NCN 7 ....(dedicated tarmac track from Glengarnock)

Just ask if any more detail, I knock about the area regularly.

Oh, and both are excellent tracks, some road work Paisley canal onwards..

OP
OP
J

JoshM

From say, Port Glasgow..
NCN 75 is your route...then NCN 7.
From Kilbirnie/Beith,
NCN 7 ....(dedicated tarmac track from Glengarnock)

Just ask if any more detail, I knock about the area regularly.

Oh, and both are excellent tracks, some road work Paisley canal onwards..

They suitable for roadbikes? Or would I need a new hybrid to commute on?

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Port Glasgow to Linwood..
parts of track (Tarmac excellent surface) esp in urban areas prone to odd glass hot spots, middle Port Glasgow esp, under bridge at Bridge of Weir, after Paisley Canal station, track goes through mostly parkland with occasional glass. Road Bike wouldn't be a problem on this part.
Glengarnock to Linwood ,
another cracking tarmac surface, two road crossings enroute, 75 joins at Linwood, track then to Elderslie, short road stretch then back on another excellent tarmac track until Paisley Canal station, short park section, now 7 winds its way through a built up area, then a mixture of parkland, roads, some parkland bits still okay for road bike but not silky smooth.
A fair haul, mind you.
Port Glasgow? all literally downhill to Linwood, approx. 400ft on return journey but not really noticeable..
Glengarnock ? pretty flat the whole way..

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
They suitable for roadbikes? Or would I need a new hybrid to commute on?
Well, I do those routes often, not as far as Port Glasgow, mind, but to go to Lochwinnoch and nearby.
The NCNs are ok on a nice dry day, for a scenic day out.
Once the rain and ice set in they are a bit of a dead trap on a road bike, slimy leaves galore, a bit of glass, the usual.
Also they go the roundabout way.
For commuting I would use the roads.

boydj

Legendary Member
Port Glasgow to Linwood..
parts of track (Tarmac excellent surface) esp in urban areas prone to odd glass hot spots, middle Port Glasgow esp, under bridge at Bridge of Weir, after Paisley Canal station, track goes through mostly parkland with occasional glass. Road Bike wouldn't be a problem on this part.
Glengarnock to Linwood ,
another cracking tarmac surface, two road crossings enroute, 75 joins at Linwood, track then to Elderslie, short road stretch then back on another excellent tarmac track until Paisley Canal station, short park section, now 7 winds its way through a built up area, then a mixture of parkland, roads, some parkland bits still okay for road bike but not silky smooth.
A fair haul, mind you.
Port Glasgow? all literally downhill to Linwood, approx. 400ft on return journey but not really noticeable..
Glengarnock ? pretty flat the whole way..

But.... in Port Glasgow you have to get up to the top of the hill first. I commuted that way for many years and I got to know the Clune Brae very well. The track from Port Glasgow into Greenock stays well above the town, but it's real bandit country and the main road is not too bad for cyclists as a 30mph dual carriageway. From Paisley, I'd stay on Glasgow Road / Paisley Road. It's much more direct and easy commuting. Another 30mph dual carriageway with cars staying mostly in lane 2 to avoid parked cars, so plenty of room for cyclists in lane 1. My commute for eight years was from Paisley into the centre of Glasgow and the only problematic areas for me were getting round the centre of Paisley.

bruce1530

Guru
The NCN7 from Kilbirnie to Paisley is pretty much completely flat all the way, as it is along an old railway route.
The section north of Kilbirnie can be a bit awkward in the winter - you’re in the railway cutting, so any ice takes longer to disappear...

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
But.... in Port Glasgow you have to get up to the top of the hill first. I commuted that way for many years and I got to know the Clune Brae very well. The track from Port Glasgow into Greenock stays well above the town, but it's real bandit country and the main road is not too bad for cyclists as a 30mph dual carriageway. From Paisley, I'd stay on Glasgow Road / Paisley Road. It's much more direct and easy commuting. Another 30mph dual carriageway with cars staying mostly in lane 2 to avoid parked cars, so plenty of room for cyclists in lane 1. My commute for eight years was from Paisley into the centre of Glasgow and the only problematic areas for me were getting round the centre of Paisley.
Builds up the legs:okay:....
says a man who stays at the highest point of PG (almost)
Oops, forgot ...
Track still closed at Devol Glen (tbh Council show no signs of repairing) Diversion in operation.

boydj

Legendary Member
The NCN7 from Kilbirnie to Paisley is pretty much completely flat all the way, as it is along an old railway route.
The section north of Kilbirnie can be a bit awkward in the winter - you’re in the railway cutting, so any ice takes longer to disappear...

I use this section a lot as a starting point for longer runs as it gets you out into the country quickly and avoids some fairly busy roads.

The track from the top of Port Glasgow into Paisley is also good - usually with a tailwind and downhill, so it makes for a good warmdown finish to a longer run.

Top Bottom