New guy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve134

HI Everbody just registered here, was on wmb forum but its all changed (not for the better i might add) just thought i would say "hi". I will be looking to get a new bike for me and the mrs within the next 2 months i personnally like the tyax elite (any thoughts) but no idea what to get the other half. Plan on doing nothing extreme just some xc in local park and getting to and from work. budget will be around £300. Cheers for any advice

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Tyax Elite? Sounds like a tax efficient hedge fund. Welcome anyway. Most of us are new here and we seem to mostly be refugees from C+.

Tyax Elite is the most recommended sub-300mtb...However, also look at the Avalanche, GT Aggressor, etc. plus make sure you get a testride so you know it fits.

I believe the tyax elite is a bit of a nightmare to find at the moment as it seems to be out of stock pretty much everywhere.

I ride a trek 4300 which admittedly has a worse spec than the mongoose, but it was the bike that fitted perfectly - no point in getting a bargain if it doesn't fit...

Assuming you're taking about mtb...If you're on a budget of £300 then I'd be looking at second hand. You're not going to get a decent ride for that money from new really - GT aggressor, Specialized hardrock, claude butler, giant terrago all do mmodels in that price range - for my money they're all a bit harsh and the parts wear out really quickly.

Singletrack classifieds have some great bargains on them, so just keep an eye out there. Also Ebay. The best bit of research you can do is on what size frame would be right for you. By all means go down your LBS and test a few makes for size, and then look out for something second hand. You'll get a lot more for your money that way.

OP
OP
S

steve134

Ok kirstie thanks for that, so then if i up my budget to around £450 - £500 i will get something good with parts that will last because this will be my only bike and i will not be getting another one after this.

Top Bottom