New Handle bars/And stem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MonsterEnergy

Hi,

i am wanting to get some new handlebars as i think that i will benefit from having longer handlebars, as mine are quite short.
But i'm just wondering whether i need a new stem aswell, or not.
Like what i mean is, do i need the same brand of stem and handlebar?

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Also, if i was to get a new stem, would it be the same size as the handlebar diamter. So my handlebars are 31.8mm.
Thanks for everyone's help in advance.

No you don’t, just match the size of the clamp unless you have fancy hidden cable routing then it can be a pain as only some bars are compatible.
If going for drops you need to consider handlebar reach, width and drop to the bottom of the bars.
If you go for a longer stem you need to consider the angle of the stem as well as the length.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Depends upon what you are riding. I find my 720's a bit wide locally, but many ride 800's on MTB's. Wider doesn't mean better.
i was thinking of going 780. Mine at the minute are 680, and they feel too short.
I know, but they help to get more aerodynamic when going fast and that sort of thing

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

No you don’t, just match the size of the clamp unless you have fancy hidden cable routing then it can be a pain as only some bars are compatible.
If going for drops you need to consider handlebar reach, width and drop to the bottom of the bars.
If you go for a longer stem you need to consider the angle of the stem as well as the length.
No i have a mtb, so they are not drops.
my handlebars are 31.8mm, so i persume if i did get a stem, they would be 31.8mm aswell?

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

1607033290225.png

But where it says the size, it says 35mm/31.88mm. What does the 35mm refer to?

You’ll need to consider rise and sweep in the case of MTB bars then as not all bars are straight and flat.

Also just watch out for stack as you might need some spacers or different spacers if the new stem is wider (taller) than the old
One.

Top Bottom