New handlebar tape...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dibs

Veteran
Folks,

I have tried fitting my own handlebar tape (LizardSkins Dsp 2.5mm) and I can get the tape done, but struggle to get the bar end in. It keeps coming back out (slowly).

Any tips?

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Super glue? its water resistant, works on old tape when it starts falling apart, no idea if it'll work on your plugs though

vickster

Legendary Member
Trim the ends of the tape, have less in the bars? I've had similar issues with lizardskins, albeit the 3.2, probably because it's so thick

midlife

Guru
hope_mtb_grip_doctor_aluminium_bar_plugs_silver.jpg

I've got Hope bar ends on my Basso :smile:

Shaun

kiriyama

If its hard to push the bar ends in and there is too much bar tape and its slowly squeezing the bar ends out then trim some the excess tape off so there's less to fold in.

If the bar ends are loose and just sort of falling out after a bit of road vibration then re rap the bars and leave extra excess to fold in.

or just buy those things that you have bought already!

migrantwing

Veteran
Put thin eleastic bands or O rings around the bar ends first.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
If you start off neatly there is no need for the tucking in and if the bar end plug is wide enough you will never tell the difference.

What this man said! I've even resorted gentle application of a rubber mallet to get the bar ends in before now. Earlier this year I was building a bike with bar end shifters and I took a look at the factory tape on my Surly Crosscheck to see how much they tucked in - the answer was none! And that still looks fine after about 6,000 miles.

Top Bottom