New here.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alexycle

Regular
Hi there! Glad to be joining this forum, I have found it when looking for a route Colchester to London, and btw, it was perfect. Can't remember who posted it, but thanks, yesterday was a great ride. Very cold, as I didn't kit up for winter, I'll have to shop around for clothing - any suggestions? I am also planning to upgread from my good old Scott Speedster s55, for a better equipped bike, probably an entry level carbon frame, I feel this is much needed, to improve my experience, its just hard to let go my first one (had it for about 10 years now..)
Ps
Was wondering if FDX clothing are any good?
Ty

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:

Alex321

Veteran
Welcome to the forum.

Suggestions for clothing are going to depend very much on you as an individual, we all have different cold thresholds so have varying requirements regarding kitting up for winter.

Personally, I feel the cold less than many people, so usually I just go with a long-sleeved jersey, shorts, leg-warmers, cycling shoes with neoprene overshoes, and gloves. I could do with a better pair of gloves, and in the coldest weather I also add a neck-warmer. But many people would feel that is not nearly enough.

I know nothing about FDX cycling clothing. I've just ordered two pairs of bib shorts and a long sleeved jersey from GCN, but don't yet know what they are like. I probably won't get chance to actually wear them on a ride until next week.

carpiste

Guru
:welcome: Amongst other bikes I have a Scott speedster and I get it about letting it go. Don`t! keep it for the odd ride and enjoy it now and again ;)
There are plenty of reviews for clothing and equipment as well as bikes here. Worth looking through a few threads in the shopping and clothing threads on the home page. Loads of good stuff to be found there ^_^

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
:welcome: I've had FDX stuff in the past. It's reasonable quality if you're on a budget or just getting started. I've always found that unlike most cycle clothing, you can buy your normal size, you don't need to size up. I'm 6'3" and buy XL from them with no problems whereas others places I often end up with XXL and it's still iffy sometimes.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Regards clothing you'll get a hundred different views. Much depends on your budget for example if you ask me about bib shorts I'll recommend Assos at £90-120 for the pair. Others will choose something at £40.

My kit is Assos bib shorts, Lusso jacket and gilet, my club winter jacket, various club shirts for different seasons and a Rapha rain jacket.

My philosophy is having found something which fits and works stick with it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Gloves, buff, windproof gilet, baselayer good for colder weather.

Keep your speedster for grottier weather, add full length mudguards to it if haven't already, fatter tyres even, you’ll be slower in winter whatever you ride

OP
OP
Alexycle

Alexycle

Regular
Thanks you guys for suggestions, much appreciated. I went with Castelli Gabba and Castelli Rosso Corsa kit after all..
I am in Colchester, Shrub End, and looking to carry on with my weekly rides at weekend, planing to do a round trip to Sudburry next Sunday, perhaps a short tea stop at Henny Swan
Anybody would like join? I'm not a fast rider, avg 17mph. Let me know.

alex_cycles

Veteran
Hi there! Glad to be joining this forum, I have found it when looking for a route Colchester to London, and btw, it was perfect. Can't remember who posted it, but thanks, yesterday was a great ride. Very cold, as I didn't kit up for winter, I'll have to shop around for clothing - any suggestions? I am also planning to upgread from my good old Scott Speedster s55, for a better equipped bike, probably an entry level carbon frame, I feel this is much needed, to improve my experience, its just hard to let go my first one (had it for about 10 years now..)
Ps
Was wondering if FDX clothing are any good?
Ty

Another Alex who cycles. Welcome ^_^

You can drop a tonne of money on cycling gear. Personally, I prefer to spend the bucks on decent shorts/tights with pads I can get on with and skimp on the jerseys/jackets (which I get from Ali Express). But give it a couple of years and you'll probably have more cycling gear than regular clothes :laugh:

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Thanks you guys for suggestions, much appreciated. I went with Castelli Gabba and Castelli Rosso Corsa kit after all..
I am in Colchester, Shrub End, and looking to carry on with my weekly rides at weekend, planing to do a round trip to Sudburry next Sunday, perhaps a short tea stop at Henny Swan
Anybody would like join? I'm not a fast rider, avg 17mph. Let me know.

Welcome aboard sir. I'm not in your area sadly so not likely to be riding around Essex anytime soon. Not a fast rider? 17 mph ain't too shabby you know!

OP
OP
Alexycle

Alexycle

Regular

You can drop a tonne of money on cycling gear. Personally, I prefer to spend the bucks on decent shorts/tights with pads I can get on with and skimp on the jerseys/jackets (which I get from Ali Express). But give it a couple of years and you'll probably have more cycling gear than regular clothes :laugh:
I hope I will put them to good use. I'm not a constant rider, as I would rather prefer to be, however, this forum is somewhat motivating, I feel a change when so many people get in touch with each other.

OP
OP
Alexycle

Alexycle

Regular

I think that's a pretty good name 👌😂

Top Bottom