1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Hubs

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by twowheelsgood, 4 Sep 2007.

1. twowheelsgood

twowheelsgood Senior Member

Hi, I just fitted some new wheels to my hybrid.

Originally, this had none-too-impressive 10 year old STX-RC hubs with Alex rims. I replaced these with Shimano XT hubs and Mavic rims weighing about the same.

Really nice quality and feel bombproof - just what I needed. However with the same tyres and tubes the bike really feels a lot slower. I thought quality, modern hubs would run better. Is it just because the hubs are new and take a time for the bearing to "bed in" (I thought XT surfaces were pe-pollished) or is it becase the rim is slightly wider and this seats the tyres differently?

I'm really quite annoyed at such a big noticeable difference after spending quite a lot of money on the new wheels. Any advice?

2. xroads

xroads New Member

What is the width of the old/new rims and tyres. This would probably be the most attributable factor. How do the hubs feel spinning off-ground freehand?

3. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

I wouldn't have thought there would have been a dramatic difference in rolling resistance. Are the rims wider?

4. twowheelsgood

twowheelsgood Senior Member

The answer is, it is the hubs. After about 200km they are much better.

Perhaps they were set-up too tight or it could be the rubber seals as these are very effective on XT hubs.