New idea or old hat ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
I have a set Campagnolo Chorus hubs laced to Ambrosio Formule 20 rims which l have had for ages and since l now want them for my latest build l need to fit new tubulars. Problem is that the old glue is rock hard and stubborn as hell.
To cut a long irritating story short l have been struggling to remove it, and l tried all sorts of methods before l came to the conclusion that since the old glue was probably oil based maybe a degreaser would help break it down. The only such substance to hand was washing up liquid . So l applied the stuff liberally over the rim and left it overnight . Eh voila, as they say around here, it works, the glue is soft enough to scrape off and that done l dosed the rims again with washing up liquid and tomorrow l will have glue free ...sparkly clean rims , l hope.
Anyone got other methods to recommend ?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Unless it was a complete lumpy mess, I'd probably have left it and put new glue over it.

Unless it was a complete lumpy mess, I'd probably have left it and put new glue over it.

I tend to do this.

Some suggest using a heat gun to soften the old stuff.

My competitive cyclist friends who used tubs, normally used acetone to remove the glue from their rims. Nail varnish remover is acetone and it dissolves most plastics (and I guess rubbers), so be careful where you put it.
This is the answer. It turns the previously cured cement into a powder, which then comes off very easily.

Stompier

This is the answer. It turns the previously cured cement into a powder, which then comes off very easily.

No it doesn't! :laugh::laugh:

Acetone softens the glue, allowing it to be wiped off/picked up by a rag. It doesn't turn it into powder. That would be remarkable, from a chemistry point of view.

Having said that, another layer of new glue will re-activate the old glue anyway. If there's not much glue on the rim anyway, then Id probably just leave it on.

Top Bottom