New Job, Commute and bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

Hi guys, start a new job in 2 weeks, employer runs cycle to work scheme!!

So its a new bike for me, yipee.

10 mile ew commute, quite hilly so the $64,000 question... which bike should i buy??

Throw em out there, because i am like a kid in a sweet shop at the mo and cannot make up my mind! All suggestions considered.

(i am happy to max out to the £1000 on offer)

Thanks andy

Maz

Guru
andyfromotley said:
10 mile ew commute, quite hilly so the $64,000 question... which bike should i buy??
Which one do you have an inclination for?

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Ok, you're asking for opinions on a commuter bike. Here is mine...remember, only opinion.

First, consider the terrain and surface. This will determine which tyres. If only on hard surface, go for a slick.
Next, what do you need to carry? Even if it's only your lunchbox, I'd recommend a bike which will take a rack. I've ridden with a backpack. That is a last resort, for me.
Next, I'd want a a bike which will accept mudguards. That eliminates most roadbikes. Now we're down to a hybrid or tourer, if you're going to be only on hard tarmac.
Don't forget lights. GOOD lights. I'm presuming that, at least in winter, you'll be starting out in the dark.
MOST IMPORTANTLY...BUY A GOOD BIKE! This will be your everyday transportation. Don't cut corners by buying what's cheap. Get something that you can rely on. You won't regret buying a high quality bike.
I'm only offering these as suggestions to consider for a COMMUTER. Everyone's situation is different. People commute on everything from rusty old kids' bikes, to top of the line racing machines. I'm giving you my opinion, as a commuter, what would work best for me.

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

Maz said:
Which one do you have an inclination for?

I was trying to avoid saying that so i didnt influence the advice. But here goes.

As a confirmed roadie my heart says - blow the whole lot on a focus Cayo and just keep using one of my other bikes to commute (If that was allowed of course:blush:)However i realiase that may not be the most appropriate bike. I commute 20 odd miles each way currently using my spesh allez. But this is not the ideal commuter bike me thinks.

So as i have this opportunity to spend decent money on a properly sorted commuter bike i am going with my head...
So i am thinking, fast, flat barred, rack and pannier, dont know about mudgaurds i know they make sense but ....hmmmm.
Am quite like the idea of a hub gear due to its low maintenance.

I really like the Edinburgh cycles revolution courier Nexus but it is quite heavy, nearly 30lbs with no kit on it.

Other than that i am genuinely interested in what other recommendations people may have.

thanks andy

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Andy, similar commute to yours and I have:-

Surly Crosscheck 60cm frame, mavic A719 rims, shim 105 front hub, SRAM I-9 rear hub, 48t chainring(can't remember make), butterfly bars and an adjustable stem, but steerer remains uncut so spacers above and below at present. V-brakes, 35mm M+ tyres, SKS mudguards, Maddison Summit rack. Two smartflash lights at rear of rack, a cheapo LED front and a Fenix torch with lockblock attachment. This setup, lights included, probably came in at about £1300. Then add in the cost of the Ortlieb panniers and the Arkel rackpack takes commute package to £1500.

My backup bike is an old Dawes frame built up as above but with a Sturmey Archer 3 speed rear hub. Just waiting on the front hub to complete bike, but no guards on that one. You could have a Crosscheck built for about £1k if you used a 3 speed hub.

But then I'm looking at building another commuter and the 2 basics on the menu are a Van Nicholas Yukon frame customised to me and to accept a Rohloff hub. I've given it a lot of thought and decided that, if I am spending up to 200 miles a week on a bike, then it should be the best I can manage. Also with the least maintenance, hence staying with the hub gear idea.

Woz!

I've just ordered a Ridgeback Voyage for my 26 mile round-trip commute. Seems a good price and comes with nearly everything I need. I've added a B17 saddle and clipless SPDs to the package.

levad

Veteran
Surly Crosscheck for me as well, drops instead of flat bars, mudguards, rack, (single) pannier, Ayup front lights, Smart 1/2 watt rear light. 28mm Conti Top Touring tyres. Fantastic bike for my 13 mile each way hilly route on unclassified and single track roads covered in gravel and quite pot holey.

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

fossyant said:
Fixed......;)

there are people who can coax a fixed up (and down) the Chevin (600 ft -ish) .........unfortunately, i am not one of em:sad:

by the way say a very nice spesh globe vienna 4 in th LBS today (nexus) very nice, anyone got one?

J4CKO

I have a Cannondale Bad Boy 700, has served me well thus far, Allez Elite I think next time the CTW comes round.

malkie

If you are wanting a Cayo chances are that something sensible with mudguards , panniers etc etc etc .... well it`s just not going to happen is it ?

I looked at a Cayo but went for a Kuota Kharma which manages my 11 mile each way commute quite nicely thank you and is great for playing out on my days off.
Nothing against a Cayo except that I was able to see the Kuota @ Aire Valley and liked it ,which I couldn`t do with the Focus.

Malkie.

Twanger

Über Member
Your description seems to fit my new bike - a Specialized Sirrus elite - down to the last full stop.

Ooops...that was 3 fingered Joe's description I was referencing there....

cannondale boy

Über Member
J4CKO said:
I have a Cannondale Bad Boy 700, has served me well thus far, Allez Elite I think next time the CTW comes round.

+1 I've had the cannondale bad boy for 7 years and has served me well. Decided a change this year and got myself the sirrus elite...i like the flat handle bars on my commute (6 miles) as i don't use the drops that much. I do have my r700 for longer trips out. So if i were you with your long commute and want to be comfortable by changing hand postion every so often, i would go for a road bike.

Top Bottom