New job = new riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ELL

Über Member
I have been commuting daily on my bike since May last year and love it but as I was only on a temp contract that comes to an end soon I have found my elf another job. its better money but slightly more hours and my ride in at the moment is 8 miles each way and the new job would be 30+ miles. I think at the moment this is to far to ride daily but want to do it a few times for the fun of it.

This means that unless I find something to motivate me to go out I will very likely become a coach potato. The best solution I can think of is to join the local cycle club (Medway velo). A few people I have talked to say they are a good club for all abilities and meet every Saturday and have 3 groups A, B and an "easier" group. I of course will be starting in the easier group but would want to get up to the B group. Surprisingly enough I have today been out looking at bikes, I've become pretty smitten with a Scott Speedster S10 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/speedster-s10-cd20-2010-road-bike-ec020699 not from Evan from my lbs. They will do it for £1400 with peddles and shoes (£135 worth), I'm 5ft9 and tried the small out today and it felt a lot more comfy than the mediums I have tried. This will be my first full on road bike and is a lot of money for me to spend so just wanted to make sure I'm not making a hash of it.
Along with some other things this bike is going to be my treat to myself as i have had a bit of compo from being knocked off my bike by a WVM last year and breaking my arm. I just want to make sure I am making the right choice I know at the end of the day its all personal choice but want to know the bike I buy will last a few years before giving up.

Any advice about bike and club riding will be appreciated.

Norm

30+ each way is a long way.

My commute is just over 20 miles each way, and I did that for the first time yesterday. I was feeling it after doing another 35 miles today.

However, about 3 times a week, I get home, do that Daddy stuff, put The Smalls to bed then head out for an hour or so.

Keith Oates

Janner
The bike looks very good and with Ultegra running gear will be a big plus in my book. I'm also 5ft 9ins but find on some ranges the small size is not so good, with my Giant TCR I went for the Medium model and found it better for longer runs as the extra reach gets you down lower and reduces the wind drag. However we are all built a little differently so perhaps the small size on the Scott is better for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
ELL

ELL

Über Member
Yeah i know what your saying. I tried a couple of mediums and they seemed a bit better but none were like the scott I just felt as if i was reaching to far and wouldn't be comfy on it.

Top Bottom