New KMX Trikes ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is my parking brake....

velcro-cinch-strap.gif

Simply loop round one of the independent front brakes. Quick to apply and release.

Catrikes have two independent front brakes, no rear.

My old Trice had a pair of calipers on the back operated by a Suntour friction gear changer

byegad

Legendary Member
A rear brake for use as a drag brake on long downhills has a use. But it must be used with caution, as you found.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
The X has front disc brakes tied to the one lever, they stop on a dime and are easy enough to balance.
Maybe I just need to set the rear brake a bit squishy for drag on the downhills and just avoid using it the rest of the time?

byegad

Legendary Member
tdr1nka said:
The X has front disc brakes tied to the one lever, they stop on a dime and are easy enough to balance.
Maybe I just need to set the rear brake a bit squishy for drag on the downhills and just avoid using it the rest of the time?

Sounds good to me. You may want to test the difference between a crash stop using the front brakes only and then the rear one and then both. My guess is that you won't find too much advantage in using the back as well as the front as there will be very little weight on it. My SA Drum brakes on the Trice will just lift the rear wheel, at that point the braking effort from a rear brake is approximately zero.

Badbackman

Ive got a kmx X Class and had a lot of fun on it, it was my first recumbent it certainly gives you a workout though, tried a secondhand Trice this Easter weekend and that was a very old model with view to purchasing and was amazed at the difference, there is no comparison the trice was very light way faster and nippier and totally different experience my son is now hammering the KMX (its built for it) while im flying lighter than air. Possibly only really feeling the benefit because of time spent on KMX earlier.

Badbackman

the winzip brakes on the KMX are excellent but if they are binding on movement it sounds like an adjustment problem, on my X class it holds enough to stand the bike up with no "binding or rubbing " problem when on the move

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Badbackman said:
the winzip brakes on the KMX are excellent but if they are binding on movement it sounds like an adjustment problem, on my X class it holds enough to stand the bike up with no "binding or rubbing " problem when on the move

Cheers BBM! It's good to hear from another KMX rider.
I'll go back to the drawing board with the back brake and set it up from scratch.
If it keeps giving me jip I'll just disconnect it!

Badbackman said:
Ive got a kmx X Class and had a lot of fun on it, it was my first recumbent it certainly gives you a workout though, tried a secondhand Trice this Easter weekend and that was a very old model with view to purchasing and was amazed at the difference, there is no comparison the trice was very light way faster and nippier and totally different experience my son is now hammering the KMX (its built for it) while im flying lighter than air. Possibly only really feeling the benefit because of time spent on KMX earlier.

The Trice is a case in point as it evolved from square tubing... when I bought mine in 1994 it had just changed to round. ICE used to have pictures on their site, but they have been removed.

We had to raise the price on the Trail as the increased shipping costs due to oil price increases was killing us a bit. However we now have a 9sp model called the Villager with a 12" seat height and 5.5" ground clearance at old price of the Trail. I think it will be a good one to add a Schlumpf drive to for extra gear inches and we will be doing a more off road orientated derivative with a hub gear as well, with that and the touring special edition I am doing I can't keep up, so I'm taking the day off to go for a ride.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I liken KMX loosely to Land Rover. Making slightly rough, tough off road vehicles that didn't cost much and could be fixed without concern for aesthetics(sp). Then the Range Rover came along and everything else became more expensive even though it was still rough and tough engineering. Eventually, KMX, like Land Rover, will stop having low cost fun vehicles and some other maker will have to come along to fill the gap.

Anyone want to start a business with me?

I dont like them! The KMX was made for off road and when they came up with the road range all they did was change some of the bits? its still the same old box tubing there is batter out there for the money I think. Off road they are Very Very good Ive had one for a year or so and have 11 working (8 not working*) at work.

* we are very hard on all the uni, bi, tri and quadracycles we have And find most of the faults with in the first 3months.

Top Bottom