New lease of life Defy 1 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pb63

Veteran
Just wanted to post here how happy I am with my stead at the moment.

I'd been contemplating a full upgrade, but then decided I'd try upgrading my wheels first on my Defy 1 2014MY.

Last year I changed the tyres from gatorskins to continental 4000s and they made a phenomenal difference the compliancy of the ride of the bike. Then this year I considered upgrading the wheels to campagnolo Zondas. I very nearly did but just missed out on a good second-hand pair of eBay I didn't feel it was necessary to purchase brand new items as my bike is already 5 years plus old so was looking for some second-hand items to improve ride.

Are then stumbled across some Shimano rs700 carbon laminated alloy wheels on eBay which were brand new with some slight cosmetic damage. retailing at around £750 these wheels were well beyond what I would have anticipated to fit to the bike however securing them for a couple of hundred quid has really transformed the Giant. Compared to the stock PR2 wheelset these wheels are lighter stiffer and seem to roll really nicely. I've already cracked a load of personal records on Strava and look forward to doing more. Average speed is up too. And climbing out of the saddle is more fun than ever. The wheels also look relatively understated.

It's just made me realise how great the Giant was out of the box and with some relatively straightforward upgrades really has unlocked the full potential of the whole bike. I have been thinking about next possible upgrades but to be honest the whole bike now just feels together. With the Shimano 105 groupset apart from the tektro brakes I am considering upgrading those to 105 calipers but to be honest for now I'm just enjoying the ride. I have upgraded the pads to Shimano to treat the new wheels. Just wish I had made those upgrades a few years ago haha....

the upgrade bike I was considering really wouldn't have given me much more than what I have.certainly I feel like I am not riding beyond the abilities of this bike now and hopefully it should keep me away from other temptations for a while.... Apart from when you find out your company has a 3K cycle to work scheme..... Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20200624_210111869.jpg
    IMG_20200624_210111869.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pb63

Veteran
One pic from most recent ride..

Attachments

• 20200625_081818.jpg
    20200625_081818.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 6

Drago

Legendary Member
I hear what you're saying. A set of DT Swiss wheels turned my already flighty 2014 Felt into an absolute stormer.

I'm also in agreement with Fart Grondo - people get strangely excited about group sets (when the actually mean geartrains) but that's way down the list of things I worry about when looking to either buy a bike or improving an existing bikes performance.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Very often the main difference between models is the level of wheels etc fitted

I hear what you're saying. A set of DT Swiss wheels turned my already flighty 2014 Felt into an absolute stormer.

I'm also in agreement with Fart Grondo - people get strangely excited about group sets (when the actually mean geartrains) but that's way down the list of things I worry about when looking to either buy a bike or improving an existing bikes performance.
I've always maintained that 105 gives the best 'bang for buck' of all the 'groupsets' you can buy.

D

Deleted member 26715

Quite surprised it doesn't already have Shimano brakes, my Defy-2 2013 had

DRM

Guru
Mine had Tektro's, but I think it was a cost cutting thing to keep the price down, 2015 Defy 3 Composite, perhaps the Defy 1 & 2's got a better brake as standard.

Drago

Legendary Member
The brakes on my Felt are unbranded, but I suspect are Tektro. I don't know what brand blocks they use but they knock the 105 brakes on my Pinncale into a very poor second place. Don't get me wrong, the 105s are great, no complaints, but whatever make the Felt brakes may be they are are different level, just astonishing. They can endo an 18 1/2 stone rider in the wet.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The brakes on my Felt are unbranded, but I suspect are Tektro. I don't know what brand blocks they use but they knock the 105 brakes on my Pinncale into a very poor second place. Don't get me wrong, the 105s are great, no complaints, but whatever make the Felt brakes may be they are are different level, just astonishing. They can endo an 18 1/2 stone rider in the wet.
[/Q

UOTE]
The 105 brakes on my Road Ace will do that too, before I have any 'feel' at the lever. This isn't a problem in normal riding as they'll stop you with 1 finger but in a 'panic braking' situation they've spat me over the top a couple of times,

Ta very much :laugh:

Top Bottom