New Lock kickstart

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HorTs

Über Member
I would give them a kickstart when I have some cash.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Would like to see how well attached the 'strap' bit is to the lock bit. Looks like the most likely weak spot (either to attack, or just 'fatigue'). If early adoption is only a tenner under RRP then my miserly temptation would be to wait for it to hit the market and be well tested in the real world.

I like the look of it but it's still a kilo. It should be fairly resistant to cutting with a saw as it will just flex out of the way (or snag blade?) but they say it is only 5min resistance to industry standards - if that's the sold secure 'standard' which doesn't test all (un)common tools then it is a pointless test standard.
I reckon a nice sharp bolster and lump hammer might worry it a bit though.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
It's difficult to tell, they seemed to be giving it a good go with braced bolt croppers, although I guess they could have gone bigger with them. I presume it's designed to clog a grinder blade. As I say, my biggest worry would be croppers or your bolster right where the strap meets the lock because that feels like it should be the weakest point. I'm also not sure if the weirdness will put a scrote off, or attract them because it looks like just a bit of webbing and leave them kicking your spokes in when they realise it's something clever.

Also, looks a bit short and there's no real discount for buying a pair.

It's difficult to tell, they seemed to be giving it a good go with braced bolt croppers, although I guess they could have gone bigger with them. I presume it's designed to clog a grinder blade. As I say, my biggest worry would be croppers or your bolster right where the strap meets the lock because that feels like it should be the weakest point. I'm also not sure if the weirdness will put a scrote off, or attract them because it looks like just a bit of webbing and leave them kicking your spokes in when they realise it's something clever.

Also, looks a bit short and there's no real discount for buying a pair.

I reckon sharp passing blade cutters but bolt cropper sized (BFO pruning shears) might cut 'fabric'.

You can clip them together to increase length and they do offer 2 keyed alike, and mention custom lengths in the future.

Hope it works but I reckon I could get into one easily enough with a bit of practice - so if they want to send me a dozen to try...

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I'd hope that one of the multiple materials they have used would stop cutters just slicing through it. Although as I say I'd like to see it survive in the real world for a while, didn't they find the titanium strap one ended up too easy to break at the lock by twisting or some such? It'd be good to know if they've concentrated on making it impregnable, or on making it pass the existing tests, it's the ingenuity of the thieves it needs to be better than.

Top Bottom