New Mason Resolution Colour and Ekar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
For simplicity maybe but for everyday use maybe not. I asked the guys at Mason about 1x and one of the lads had just changed his Bokeh 1x back to 2x. He used it for everything including Audax and said the 1x set up just didnt suit him for long distance road riding.

Thats interesting. If I could afford it, I would change mine to 2x! Better for randonee and perfectly good for off road too.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
I approve too. They look :becool:
Am I remembering right yours is the Bokeh, you posted pic when I was looking to buy a Mason, on the dirt road overlooking a river ? Is it set up 1x ?

That's the one. And yes, its 1x. I bought the bike to ride Dirty Reiver and 1x made sense for that, but its unusual I ride anything that's so hard on a bike. On the road, I sometimes have the feeling I can't find the right gear and 1x looks so ugly!

OP
OP
T

Tripster

That's the one. And yes, its 1x. I bought the bike to ride Dirty Reiver and 1x made sense for that, but its unusual I ride anything that's so hard on a bike. On the road, I sometimes have the feeling I can't find the right gear and 1x looks so ugly!
Yep, I remember you saying :okay: I asked Alex at Mason who builds the bikes and he said 1x has its place but he had changed his back to 2x. I think all the YouTube videos about 1x having little difference due to ratio overlaps etc is fine for some but for most on the road I think I would have been same as you and compromising either slightly too high a gear or too low rather than the one I really need that suits my riding, energy, and attitude on the day

cyclintom

Gorgeous, but that cable is going to rub that lovely frame without a protector.
For awhile you could get some foam tubes to put over the outer cables to protect the area it rubbed. Now if you buy a good cable set they don't do any damage but might leave marks from the color of the cables. At least they don't wear though the paint leaving rub marks.

cyclintom

Yep, I remember you saying :okay: I asked Alex at Mason who builds the bikes and he said 1x has its place but he had changed his back to 2x. I think all the YouTube videos about 1x having little difference due to ratio overlaps etc is fine for some but for most on the road I think I would have been same as you and compromising either slightly too high a gear or too low rather than the one I really need that suits my riding, energy, and attitude on the day
I really liked 8 speeds. The ratios were all the correct distance apart. Then Lance wanted a 9th speed so that he didn't have to change bikes at the bottom of a climb. This gave him a climbing gear on his road set. Suddenly EVERYONE wanted a 9th gear and an entire industry came into being with every couple of years companies adding another gear. Then everyone would take off the older set and replace it with a new shinier set with another gear as if it made any difference. I suppose if you're a Europro you could probably use 11 speeds but you sure as hell can't use 12, 13 or 14 This makes the gears so closely spaced that you end up shifting two gears when you need to shift. Even now the only people that tout another gear are those being supported to do so. Not to mention single chainring bikes with 9-42's on them

footloose crow

Über Member
I really liked 8 speeds. The ratios were all the correct distance apart. Then Lance wanted a 9th speed so that he didn't have to change bikes at the bottom of a climb. This gave him a climbing gear on his road set. Suddenly EVERYONE wanted a 9th gear and an entire industry came into being with every couple of years companies adding another gear. Then everyone would take off the older set and replace it with a new shinier set with another gear as if it made any difference. I suppose if you're a Europro you could probably use 11 speeds but you sure as hell can't use 12, 13 or 14 This makes the gears so closely spaced that you end up shifting two gears when you need to shift. Even now the only people that tout another gear are those being supported to do so. Not to mention single chainring bikes with 9-42's on them
I am no euro pro but I use all 11 of my sprockets every time I go out. I really like my 31 x 34 on steep hills ( going up) and the 48 x 11 seems fine to me (going down). If I was more pro I would have bigger thighs and lungs and then I wouldn't need all of those gears. And a higher fear threshold going downhill so I didn't stop pedalling once I reach 30mph.

Top Bottom