New Medical Evidence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've just had a post deleted because I used a mildly perjorative word to describe a Spanish gentleman and somebody complained.

Yet here's a post about a really unpleasant disease that affects millions of sufferers and their carers; my Mum cared for my Dad as he died with Alzheimer's for over ten distressing years and the stress took a heavy toll on her own mental and physical health, so I don't find it a laughing matter at all. But I'm not about to complain because that would be small-minded.

PBancroft

It was a joke I heard on Mock the Week.

I have lost a close reletaive to the illness so know all to well the affect it has.

After all is said and done, it's a joke.

I think it depends on what a reader expects from a given situation.

If I'm watching Mock the Week, I'll expect a certain amount of crude humour and to be offended at least once (heck, I'd be a bit disappointed if I wasn't). If I'm having a cuppa on Saturday morning whilst reading CC, I'd expect witty banter and a few interesting debates. Maybe that makes me wrong for expecting the wrong thing.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Quite interesting how this thread splits those who've had contact with Alzheimer's.

The mother out law presently in a care home with it - happy enough but utterly bewildered if taken out. My grandmother died with it and it may have been some form of fast developing dementia that got my father. But I found the joke mildly amusing.

+1 Bromptonaut & Hilldodger.
Both of my fathers parents suffered with it for their final years. It was horrid to go through as a grandchild when your favourite Granparent's stop knowing who you are, but I can still recognise a joke as a joke.

Globalti

Legendary Member
+1 Bromptonaut & Hilldodger.
Both of my fathers parents suffered with it for their final years. It was horrid to go through as a grandchild when your favourite Granparent's stop knowing who you are, but I can still recognise a joke as a joke.

Absolutely.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yes indeed it is certainly a horrid condition. One way to deal with same is to retain a sense of humour.

My better half is partially deaf. So we sometimes say "pardon" when she speaks. Otherwise the "pardons" exclusively from her get somewhat stressful. She sees the joke.

Shaun

Founder
I'm going to lock the thread for now whilst I discuss it with the moderating team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom