New member from Stalybridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lurcher

Regular
Hi ,
Just joined after a return to biking after 10 yrs , 60 yrs old and picked up a Trek Hybrid 8.2DS on Sat , just going to out with it shortly on a quiet country road to get used to the gears .
Wish I had kept all the bits/bats from 10 yrs ago glasses/mirror/shorts/stand/pump etc as its cost me a bit to replace them LOL .
Just looking to lose a bit of weight and enjoy local cycle paths/canal/Longdendale Trail etc .

sdr gb

Falling apart
Hello from a fellow Tamesider.:welcome:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Welcome Lurcher.

Before long you'll be riding out on 50 milers like the others on here, the fitness comes pretty quickly, especially at this time of the year when it is warm and sunny (today is perfect but I am stuck in doing paperwork :sad:).

There are loads of us from the forum around these parts so others will be along shortly to say a big hello too :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Lurcher

Lurcher

Regular
Thanks for the welcome , its all hills where I live , easy to pedal off estate but uphill all way to get back , live top of Mottram Rd/Matley lane for those Tamesiders who know area .

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Thanks for the welcome , its all hills where I live , easy to pedal off estate but uphill all way to get back , live top of Mottram Rd/Matley lane for those Tamesiders who know area .

Yes but, the flip side of that is that when I want to ride my MTB in them thar hills I have to climb Mottram road before I can hit the dirt (Not that Mottram Road seems that big any more).

broomwagon

Hello Lurcher, I'm just below you in Godley and drive through your area every day. Get onto the Londendale Trail for some peace and quiet and safety, and the views are are pretty good too. Use Hobson Moor road to get there pretty safely.

OP
OP
Lurcher

Lurcher

Regular
Hello Lurcher, I'm just below you in Godley and drive through your area every day. Get onto the Londendale Trail for some peace and quiet and safety, and the views are are pretty good too. Use Hobson Moor road to get there pretty safely.

Thanks for that , I was just trying to work out a safe/quiet route avoiding Mottram Moor , do I turn right somewhere along Hobson Moor Road ?

broomwagon

Thanks for that , I was just trying to work out a safe/quiet route avoiding Mottram Moor , do I turn right somewhere along Hobson Moor Road ?
Aye, there's a turning to the right after dropping down Hobson Moor road towards Hollingworth Hall, a small tarmaced road that leads you to Green Lane in Hollingworth. Alternatively, take the first right down to Rabbit Lane and it brings you out at the mill near the Gun Inn

OP
OP
Lurcher

Lurcher

Regular
Aye, there's a turning to the right after dropping down Hobson Moor road towards Hollingworth Hall, a small tarmaced road that leads you to Green Lane in Hollingworth. Alternatively, take the first right down to Rabbit Lane and it brings you out at the mill near the Gun Inn
Appreciate that , just had a look on Google and can see route now , pity its uphill alway back :laugh: , going to give it a try later this week , did LT a couple of times on Mountain bike when kids were younger and walked it both ways 2 yrs ago .

broomwagon

Appreciate that , just had a look on Google and can see route now , pity its uphill alway back :laugh: , going to give it a try later this week , did LT a couple of times on Mountain bike when kids were younger and walked it both ways 2 yrs ago .

There's a nice flatish one near me on the old Godley railway track near the Walls factory, it takes you down to Gee X and then Haughton Green, eventually to Denton woods if you chose to go that way. It's a nice ride with one or two alternatives. If you're more adventurous, stick the bike in the car and drive out to the Monsal Trail just through Buxton. It takes you to Bakewell eventually. Wonderful countryside.

OP
OP
Lurcher

Lurcher

Regular
Yes was thinking of the Monsal Trail , saw it on tv recently mentioning the tunnels reopened , looks good , will try that Godley track route you mention as its not too far from me .

Thanks again

OP
OP
Lurcher

Lurcher

Regular
There's a nice flatish one near me on the old Godley railway track near the Walls factory, it takes you down to Gee X and then Haughton Green, eventually to Denton woods if you chose to go that way. It's a nice ride with one or two alternatives. If you're more adventurous, stick the bike in the car and drive out to the Monsal Trail just through Buxton. It takes you to Bakewell eventually. Wonderful countryside.

Looking on Google maps and I am struggling to see the old track , can you direct me to where I can get on it nr to Walls ?

Is it off Brookfold Lane ?

Thanks

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Welcome Lurcher :smile:

I'm sort of over the other side of the big hill in High Crompton/Shaw

Top Bottom