New Member Trying To Keep Fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marco polo

Hi,
Started cycling and hooked, in january i could not walk to the garden gate without getting out of breath and pains down arm and in chest.
visited doctor and and hospital for ecg and told i have angina now take beta blockers every day as angina not that bad.
started walking everyday in january and now do min 4 miles a day with dog
started cycling in june and now do 12 miles every day really getting a sweat up on a road bike on cycle path and lost 3 stone in weight and lowerd colesterol from 10 to 3.9
what should i drink or eat after cycling ? bear in mind i have to eat low fat foods to keep colesterol low
do you think i maybe doing too much as after my ride as i feel exhausted all day ?
i still need to loose another stone at least to be healthy do you recomend i stay at my current rate or increase it? :ohmy:

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
I don't know the answers to your questions marco
But I would like to say welcome to this forum, good on ya for taking up cycling, and, ahem , excuse my language, well fekkin done for turning your life around.
(I bet the dogs knackered ! :o)

marco polo said:
Hi,
Started cycling and hooked, in january i could not walk to the garden gate without getting out of breath and pains down arm and in chest.
visited doctor and and hospital for ecg and told i have angina now take beta blockers every day as angina not that bad.
started cycling in june and now do 12 miles every day really getting a sweat up on a road bike on cycle path and lost 3 stone in weight and lowerd colesterol from 10 to 3.9
what should i drink or eat after cycling ? bear in mind i have to eat low fat foods to keep colesterol low
do you think i maybe doing too much as after my ride as i feel exhausted all day ?
i still need to loose another stone at least to be healthy do you recomend i stay at my current rate or increase it? :ohmy:

IMO you should check with your doctor again especially if you are feeling tired all day. Too much can sometimes be as bad as too little especially if you have an existing medical condition. I was pushing myself as hard as I could when I started cycling again but when I bought myself a heart-rate monitor I scared myself witless at how high it was and took it a bit easier.

RedBike

I'm sorry but I can't help. I just wanted to congratulate you on your achievements so far.

p.s. I know you want to push yourself hard but don't forget to take plenty of rest!

OP
OP
M

marco polo

marco polo said:
Hi,

OP
OP
M

marco polo

yes,
have asked the doctor but he said he is the same after exercise i thought may be i need to put thee right foods back in my body after exercise but dont really know what foods,
i have a heart monitor and am not reaching my max heart rate but staying in the 60& to 805% range when im cycling
i am doing 12 miles in 50 min with a min stop after 30 min for a quick drink of lucasade sport dont know if that is the right thing
yes im proud of what i have acheived pitty it took a scare do get me off me bum

peejay78

after a pacy ride, say 50-60 miles, i feel hollow all day.

but i don't have angina - so can't really offer advice.

i am sure that cycling is doing you good though.

How old are you? I've got a book - Cycling past 50 - which has lots of tips on nutrition; top tip after a long ride half a litre of skimmed milk with 5 tablespoons of sugar to get nutrients back into the bits that need it. Works for me, relieves a lot of the aches and emptiness over next 24 hours. Most diet advice is similar to sensible eating advice you get everywhere with more emphasis on carbohydrates because of the extra energy you're using.

BUT given your health problems, I'd get your doctor to sign off on anything you're going to try. Perhaps they'd kindly refer you to a nutritionist.

OP
OP
M

marco polo

im only 46 years old, i do follow a healthy diet with low fat i maybe thought that you may need to take special foods within one hour of exercising
may be i need to take it easy for a while but i do enjoy my ride in the mornings thanks for your advise

paulbuckle

Hi Marco Polo,

Congrats on your achievement! As far as food to eat after riding. Basically during the ride your body will be using your glycogen stores built up by eating carbohydrates. You should try to replenish these within 2 hours of your ride as that is the window in which the body works most effectively at repleting them.

I think the best foods (which are low in fat), are wholemeal bread, rice, pasta or potatoes (baked).

The depleted glycogen stores can have a massive impact on your fatigue level. Also try to build in a rest day to your cycling for your body to recover. I always eat a banana about 5 mins before I go out too, and when I come back as its good for short bursts of energy.

As said before, it would be a good idea to speak to your doctor about your diet in reducing fatigue after exercise.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
M

marco polo

paulbuckle said:
Hi Marco Polo,

Congrats on your achievement! As far as food to eat after riding. Basically during the ride your body will be using your glycogen stores built up by eating carbohydrates. You should try to replenish these within 2 hours of your ride as that is the window in which the body works most effectively at repleting them.

I think the best foods (which are low in fat), are wholemeal bread, rice, pasta or potatoes (baked).

The depleted glycogen stores can have a massive impact on your fatigue level. Also try to build in a rest day to your cycling for your body to recover. I always eat a banana about 5 mins before I go out too, and when I come back as its good for short bursts of energy.

As said before, it would be a good idea to speak to your doctor about your diet in reducing fatigue after exercise.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
M

marco polo

thanks for the advice i always have shredded wheat and a banana for breakfast before i go out, do you think eating after a ride will make me put weight on as i have to watch my daily intake to maintain my weight loss and keep the colesterol low

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Instead of pushing your self harder to go faster, try increasing your distance. If you keep at it you will get all the way to China...

Top Bottom