New member ..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuarttunstall

Hi

Just thought I would say "Hello", after 35 years of not being on a cycle I have just been out yesterday and ordered a Scott Sub Cross 10 Hybrid 2018 :smile:

Over the last few years I have lost almost 7 stone in weight going to the gym 4 times a week, but I thought "what the hell" I live in a nice country location with plenty of quite country lanes, why not start cycling to get a bit more exercise over the weekends, Friday to Sunday early morning...

Never thought I would become a cyclist again, especially after 35 years and being 53 lol..

Look forward to using the forum.

Stuart

vickster

Legendary Member
Welcome

Congrats on the weight loss

Once you get into cycling in the sunny outdoors, I bet you'll start to skip the gym ;) (stinky boring places :whistle: )

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Thank you all for the welcome, funny enough I am looking forward to getting out on a bike again and getting rid of this remaining couple of stone, at least in the country and fresh air...

Knowing my luck it will belt down of rain when the bike arrives lol

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Thank you :smile: looking forward to being part of the cycling community again after 35+ years :smile:

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I have decided that this forum is not for me and requested to Shaun that my account removed in whichever way you do it..

I would just like to thank all the members who offered great advice over the last week it has helped...

Thanks again and bye

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Having spoken to Shaun I have decided that I do want to be part of this forum, but I will limit it to asking questions only....

The bike arrived last Friday and I went out on it both Saturday and Sunday early morning around the lanes local to me... great living in a village... and did 2, 2.5 mile trips... not much but better than nothing, having a coffee on my laptop...

I found out 1. I could still ride a bike, 2. I am a little on the "wobbly" side still....

Then on Saturday I managed to "goof" the gears on a hill, and came to a stop! oh well.... first time on a bike in 35 years.... Having spoke to a cycling chap I know he explained the gears, different route on Sunday, did what I was told and managed to get half way up a long upward slope before my legs gave up....

Hoping to do Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning this week, and planned my quite route to do 6 miles each day....

Once I am more confident I will venture further... and on better routes to get some speed up... these lanes are quiet, but not the best with ruts and potholes.... but a good place to learn again..

Stuart

Last edited:
OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Just been out and managed 5.5 miles today :smile: this included a couple of hills, one I did not manage, YET! and the other was the one I "goofed" the gears on last Saturday and managed it OK this week, so thats a start... Same again tomorrow and Monday..... again not massive but good for me after 35 years and twice what i did last weekend :smile:

One thing I did hear on the way back was a slight "twang" now being a little large for the bike at the moment I checked all the spokes, but they all seemed fine, nothing broken or loose so maybe one just moved next to the other where they cross... I HOPE... checked again at home and they all looked and felt OK...

View: https://www.strava.com/activities/1596231714/embed/64248dbeb2ce2c645bc914ce763122270c782060

Last edited:

Biker Joe

Über Member
Hi Stuart. You're doing great.:dance: Good to hear that the weight is coming off. Well done. Keep it nice and steady and try not to rush the progress. Listen to your body.
Above all enjoy yourself. The twang might have been a bit of road debris hitting the spokes. Happy cycling.^_^

Top Bottom