New Moulton hits the road ..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonk man

:biggrin: ha ha .... just finished building my refurbished Mk1.... went and did a 10 mile tt this evening on it.... oh woe is me, anyone got a 12 tooth sprocket they can lend me :wahhey:, 53x14 just ain't high enough.... top gear all the way round and and spinning furiously on the down hills, 29.50 ,, oh dear,,, 71 year old Bill beat me by a minute tonight:wacko::biggrin:

I can see why folk used a 60 tooth ring on them.

I am about to send my entry in for the Welsh 12 hour tt if anyone else fancies giving it a bash :biggrin:

Will post some pics shortly, too late now as it getting dark.

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

blimey.. using Sheldon's gear calculator...

my gearing with 53x15 as I have just counted the teeth on the sprocket.. @ 100 rpm I would be doing 19.5 mph.... no wonder I struggled to get evens tonight, top gear was a lovely 65.6 inches. That is low in anyones book...

I have to get a 12 sprocket to give me 61-71-82 inches with an AM hub, this means that 2nd gear which is direct drive and most efficient will be about right I think. 100 rpm = 21.1 mph, sounds about right.
None of our tt courses [ apart from the hilly ] has anything I cannot manage to get up easily on a 66 inch gear so 61 low should be ok..

calculator

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

I have a spare Moulton Will;) .... are you a veteran yet? Did you hear Bill say he would like to support us, we can station him at the pub on the circuit if it is hot ....

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

25oxrtg.jpg
[/IMG]

hubgearfreak

Über Member
i really like the re-etched hub shell. :biggrin:

i rebuilt an AW yesterday, and put plumber's ptfe tape around the ball ring, might yours benefit from the same?:smile:

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

ha ha.. I have the rattliest AM in Christendom :smile: some thicker oil has helped but it is still noisy... any advice hubgearfreak or is it just a bit knackered? Sounds like a tin of rusty screws being shaken vigorously when coasting:wacko:

My FW was pretty rattling before 1st gear stripped itself...

Do you like the quick release split pin device?

I was really pleased with the re etching job, nice touch we thought..I have to get some transfers made up, not bothering with Moulton transfers though, I just want one saying "Skippy"... that's because it came off a skip and boings about a bit:smile:

I have ordered a 13 sprocket and will try and knock up a 12 out of an old cassette sprocket, wheres my grinder?

hubgearfreak

Über Member
bonk man said:
ha ha.. I have the rattliest AM in Christendom :biggrin: some thicker oil has helped but it is still noisy... any advice hubgearfreak or is it just a bit knackered?

sadly, not really.

you've probably already read these workshop pages. i have made hubs that don't work, work, if i read the instructions on reassembly carefully, and work through them with all the bits cleaned well. the planets need aligning in the AM, but you know that too?:blush:
http://www.hadland.me.uk/sa/saam.pdf
other than that, it'd be worth contacting derek at http://oldbiketrader.co.uk he's got the best range of spares and the best knowledge.

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

It is as I bought it... All I have done is transfer it to another shell so timing the cogs should not be necessary, I think it is just worn out. Could check it I suppose.. oily hands.... again ....

If it isn't timed properly it sticks a bit if I remember..

Good to see Derek is up and running, his site was out of action the other day, I bought a recon FW off him recently, and very good it is too :blush:

I see he has a AM internal unit for sale at the moment.. tempting..

Top Bottom