New Mountain bike - thoughts??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dibs

Veteran
Hi all,

looking at getting a new Mountain bike through my works C2W scheme.

General plan is some off road cycling with family/friends - looking to get into some trails (Glentress etc)

Think ive narrowed it down to 2...

Giant Talon 27.5

https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes...6Kctzju8YNVfpHTYbFfm1AHEf6uQqjQAaAqnOEALw_wcB

Orbea MX 20 29er

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Orbea-MX-20-Mountain-Bike-2021-Hardtail-MTB_228265.htm

Can anyone shed any light either through experience or components??

Giant is £949, Orbea is £819

I think Giant for me as 12 speed. Not a fan of huge jumps between gears on current fad for single chainsets, but will be worse on Orbea.
I would check out weight as well i can't comment on forks but some weigh a ton.
Rubbish tyres on Orbea put me off as well ... both nice looking HT's though :okay:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’m sure both are good bikes and specs look similar so maybe go for the cheaper one. Be aware than when you have to stump up for a new cassette be prepared to dig deep. Yes, Kenda tyres are pretty cr@p. I’d also endorse the comment about 1x drive trains above, something else to be aware of with them but it probably won’t worry you too much with the sort of riding you’ll be doing. Speaking of which I think you might be better off with a gravel bike, it’ll be much lighter and more nimble than a MTB and probably just as comfortable , the suspension fork won’t add much as lowering the tyre pressures, it’ll just add weight. It’ll also be faster on the road.

Good luck finding anything in stock :smile:

Last edited:

Chislenko

Veteran
Hi all,

looking at getting a new Mountain bike through my works C2W scheme.

General plan is some off road cycling with family/friends - looking to get into some trails (Glentress etc)

And of course cycling to work.

Can you still buy hardtails without a single drivetrain? 51 tooth cassette? Could you actually sell that to anyone who knows about cycling?

Top Bottom