New MTB Budget £1000 - £1500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jim77

I am looking for a new MTB I hope to be using the Cycle to Work Scheme and want to use a LBS. One of my LBS stocks Specialized, the other Orbea and Scott.

What would people recommend for this budget from these brands?

I am new to MTB and want to ride all round trails in North Wales (where I live) I am not looking for anything too daredevil and how fast I go is not an issue. I am looking for something that is an all rounder and comfortable, so I have been thinking full suspension. It would need to be fairly light so I can take it on and off a roof rack without taking the front wheel off.

OP
OP
J

Jim77

I have been looking at :

Orbea Alu Comp £999

Orbea Alu Race £1125

Scott Aspect FX 15 £1049

or

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp £1500

Please advise!!

sheddy

Legendary Member
Please please please please you don't need full sus for commuting. Honest.
Better to spend a few hundred in order to find out what you need and then go ballistic later.
And don't go to Halfords

dodgy

The OP said this "I am new to MTB and want to ride all round trails in North Wales (where I live) ", I think he is actually looking for full suspension.

Dave.

barq

Knowing that area, and the trails, I'd say full suspension is a good idea. I know people who've been pretty happy with their Stumpjumpers.

dodgy

I have a Stumpjumper (it's a slightly more expensive model than the OP mentions) and it's a cracker. Zero maintenance issues in the 3 years I've had it.

Jim, you mention Orbea and Scott, I take it you're referring to the Eureka Cycle sports shop near Queensferry?

Dave.

dodgy

It's technically a £1000 upper limit, but some retailers will turn a blind eye and let you top up over the limit. I've no idea what happens if you get rumbled though.

Dave.

OP
OP
J

Jim77

The limit the scheme offers you is £1000 but it does say on the cycle scheme website that you can top up the amount yourself if you want. There is nothing dodgy about it.

I am looking for riding the trails as I said. I have been to a Specialized shop and the stump jumper does look great and it is surprising light too. So is this bike much better than the Orbea and Scott bikes i have listed above? Is it worth the extra £500? It does appear to have better rear suspension, is this correct?

dodgy

Basically you're asking if a Stumpjumper is better than a Scott or Orbea, but since we don't know which models you're talking about, it's not really that easy to answer.

Dave.

OP
OP
J

Jim77

Stumpjumper or:

Something of an similar value from Scott or Orbea e.g.

- Scott Genius MC-40

-- Orbea Alu Race

or

- Orbea Rallon FR

or anything (out of the 3 makes only) that you think is better please.

Thanks.

Jim

dodgy

Sorry Jim, I'm a dufus, you clarified the models in your second post :evil:

Anyway, since you're buying tax efficiently, it's the more expensive Stumpjumper that I would be going for.

I have a Stumpy FSR 120 Pro that I bought in 2005, it's been such a fantastic bike. To be honest, in a given price range, there are usually strong similarities in componentry between one brand and another. What you need to do is find the frame design and ride you like at a certain price point. For instance, I ruled out many brands based almost entirely on aesthetics and I finally settled on the Stumpy based on the dealer I was buying from and how competent they were in terms of customer service.

If you're riding fairly hard-core offroad and intend to do fairly long offroad day rides, I could recommend the Stumpy. If you feel it is likely you will be doing some road riding, look for features such as suspension lockout (to firm up the ride and reduce power loss in the suspension).

I'm sorry, I've never ridden the Orbea or Scott models. Again, are you buying from Eureka Cycle Sports for the Orbea and Scott?

Dave.

OP
OP
J

Jim77

dodgy said:
Sorry Jim, I'm a dufus, you clarified the models in your second post :smile:

Anyway, since you're buying tax efficiently, it's the more expensive Stumpjumper that I would be going for.

I have a Stumpy FSR 120 Pro that I bought in 2005, it's been such a fantastic bike. To be honest, in a given price range, there are usually strong similarities in componentry between one brand and another. What you need to do is find the frame design and ride you like at a certain price point. For instance, I ruled out many brands based almost entirely on aesthetics and I finally settled on the Stumpy based on the dealer I was buying from and how competent they were in terms of customer service.

If you're riding fairly hard-core offroad and intend to do fairly long offroad day rides, I could recommend the Stumpy. If you feel it is likely you will be doing some road riding, look for features such as suspension lockout (to firm up the ride and reduce power loss in the suspension).

I'm sorry, I've never ridden the Orbea or Scott models. Again, are you buying from Eureka Cycle Sports for the Orbea and Scott?

Dave.

I have looked there yes, as well as looking at the specialized concept store in chester, still to make up my mind.

Top Bottom