new mtb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Michael86

I do know what I want, I deffinatly don't want a road bike. And when I spoke to my lbs, for my budget I was better getting a MTB instead of a hybrid. Better quality specs for my money.

Motozulu

Über Member
Fair enough then mate - enjoy it! but get off road as much as you can

*whispers...road riding is fecking well boring...*

Cyclist33

Thats odd coz usually a hybrid gives you better value for money spec wise... Anyway... If it's what you want it'll be fine. I used to have one.

I do think a road bike would have the wrong choice, i mean it's all very well doing 95% roads but what about the other 5%?

I would have recommended a suspension less hybrid with 700 c wheels, something like. Pinnacle lithium, as these are good for poor road commutes but can easily take knobblier tyres if you want. They're lighter than equivalent prices front sus bikes and as the fork suspension doesn't exist it wouldn't be cheap and crap, so you would have more control and less weight at the front. Suspension is a waste of money on anything you'd class as light off road coz it just ain't needed.

That said... I've just bought a hard tail for no good reason :whistle:.

I do know what I want, I deffinatly don't want a road bike. And when I spoke to my lbs, for my budget I was better getting a MTB instead of a hybrid. Better quality specs for my money.

Motozulu

Über Member
Yes, Suntours do a job, but are very heavy and have no adjustment at all (I know, my Merida came with them) but they will get you around a trail centre. TBH though, on balance for the massive weight penalty on the front - I'd rather run it rigid (which I did in the end).

Last edited:

Motozulu

Über Member
They make the front end very heavy and hard to 'pop up' over logs, roots etc. I don't know the exact weight but obviously the more expensive the fork, the lighter and more tuneable. TBH I wouldn't worry too much about it as for the riding you are talking about it should be fine - I used to do the Cannock reds on mine so they do work, as in they soak up bumps.

Top Bottom