New noise puzzling me!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Is that a 'dog tooth' chain catcher thing on your seat tube?
I have one and had to move it very slightly as after putting on a new chain it was rubbing very slightly with the chain on the inner ring.

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
That chain looks awfully dry judging from the dry deposits on the chainring. Give it oil and give it another go. Small chainrings are noisier because the links articulate more.

This could be it....but i hope not and couldn't explain why it would only happen in the little ring. The chain isn't oiled but waxed. Mixture of 60% Paraffin Oil, to 40% Paraffin wax.

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
Is that a 'dog tooth' chain catcher thing on your seat tube?
I have one and had to move it very slightly as after putting on a new chain it was rubbing very slightly with the chain on the inner ring.

3mm gap so should be fine, but good idea. I've removed it now as i've never had the chain drop. Can't hurt to try in case there's more flex under my enormous power output :tongue:

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
Update: It wasn't the b-screw or the dogstooth. Went out today and it was still noisy (even audible with the scary cross winds over the Golden gate Bridge).

I've removed all the wax from the chain/cleaned and lubed with a more traditional oil. I'll hopefully try again tomorrow and learn it was all my fault for waxing the chain.

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
Solved - The noise went after boiling the wax out of the chain and lubing with a light oil. Basically, it was all my fault. The interwebs had claimed that wax was a great lube in terms of efficiency, cleanliness, longevity and silence......but it certainly isn't anywhere near silent. I won't be repeating that experiment again.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Solved - The noise went after boiling the wax out of the chain and lubing with a light oil. Basically, it was all my fault. The interwebs had claimed that wax was a great lube in terms of efficiency, cleanliness, longevity and silence......but it certainly isn't anywhere near silent. I won't be repeating that experiment again.
I've only ever used wax on a motorcycle chain, and that wore out in half the normal time.

Great, problem solved. Good oil, like ordinary engine oil should have it completely silent. Wax is one of those stupid anachronisms that just won't die.

Top Bottom