New pedals - Shimano SPD's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Each to their own, but as some one who has clipless (look keos), toeclips and flats on three different bikes I see merits in all of them but for out and out speed and power the road clipless setup transfers power the best but are the most impractical, The flats are most convenient and the toeclips are convenient but offer better power transfer than the flats. I don't like the toeclips with all shoes though. I can't speak about spd's with recessed cleats because I don't use them. One comment I would make though is with the clipless I use there is enough float to move your feet quite a lot and I have had no knee issues.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I have adjusted cleats for maximum float and still had knee problems. It's a shame as I did enjoy using cleats and I have 4 sets of them. It is probably my particular build or "gait" for want of another word. I'm playing safe bt reverting to flats for now rather than risk damaging my knees. As you say. whatever works for you, but just because one does not use cleats it does not mean they are old fashioned, different etc. Look at this..
http://www2.arnes.si/~ikovse/misc.htm#Clipless

JNR

I'm new to road bike cycling and bought myself a nice bike, nice shoes and some SPD pedals after deciding I was going to just bite the bullet and learn. Spent a few minutes against a wall practicing and adjusted the spring to make it easier to get out the pedal, especially on the right foot.

Took the bike in my car to a nice quiet industrial circuit and loved the pedals (and the bike), must have done 15 miles on it. Practiced various things and got too confident on the pedals, ended up toppling the bike and scraping the right pedal and hurting my hand a bit. Lesson learnt. I went home, took both springs to the lowest setting and haven't had a problem since. It taught me a lesson really, and that was to be aware. Now I'm out on the roads of an evening I've learnt to be aware of absolutely everything around me for my safety and to avoid panicking on the clipping out bit, which is now nearly second nature. Another month of cycling and it really will be second nature. The benefits, for me, is that pedalling is far easier, I'll never slip off the pedal and I get that feel that I'm 'doing it properley', which, for me, makes me more confident on the bike.

I wouldn't entertain getting clips on the pedals, they always seemed harder for me to get out of if you've got them anything other than 'properley loose'. I considered having pedals that were both cleat in and flat on the other side but honestly? I'll never take the bike anywhere I would be annoyed at having to put my road shoes on. I'll never take it to the shops, for example.

If I want to go to the shops on a bike I'll buy a cheapo mountain bike or old fixed gear.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
There will always be opposing views, on the flat I see little difference even climbing but not on the limit of exertion, but when I really push I do see the benefit. Across a long ride it will make little difference though unless their is a load of climbing and your are seriously fit. Could be your gait as you say, I am 6'4" and 14 stone but everyone is slightly different
I am sure there is a snobbery element with some cyclists, but you get that whatever you wear. I am sure I get it for wearing a mtb helmet on my road bike because I prefer the practicality of having a peak.

Top Bottom