New Printer All-inOne?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Ok, due to the superb, as in all the kit still works, computer techy advice I've had on here before....it's new printer time.

Our history of printers has been buying whatever cheap wired inkjet is on offer and then replacing with same when ink cartridges runs out. I know, I know....

Whereas I'm looking to go a little bit upmarket and get something wireless that can handle printing, scanning and low volume copying....not fussed about a fax facility. Based on prices I think we're staying firmly in the inkjet range. Also really easy to setup and maintain would be handy. Thinking a max of about £150 but preferably under £100.

So, what do we know folks?

I've just replaced a HP Officejet Pro 8500a (due to frightening ink costs), with an Epson SX445W. I did my homework this time and the ink is very reasonable, around £25 - £30 for a full pack of genuine cartridges, versus about £70 ish for the HP!

The Epson is one of their new range of 'small in one' printers, and I'm amazed at how compact it is, the HP was a monster.

I've only had it a couple of days, but I'm very happy with it so far, and the best bit? £49.99 at Argos :thumbsup:

I've just replaced a HP Officejet Pro 8500a (due to frightening ink costs), with an Epson SX445W. I did my homework this time and the ink is very reasonable, around £25 - £0 for a full pack of genuine cartridges, versus about £70 ish for the HP!

The Epson is one of their new range of 'small in one' printers, and I'm amazed at how compact it is, the HP was a monster.

I've only had it a couple of days, but I'm very happy with it so far, and the best bit? £49.99 at Argos :thumbsup:

That does look good.

I am out of date on multi-function units, the only thing I'd say is the weak point of most of them is the multi-page scanning, either the software or the hardware, or both. So if that's a priority you may have to spend your 150, if not, you should get one cheaper.

I always use compatible inks as well, so far, so good.

I'll second the Epson. Had a few, never had a problem.

HP do good, large volume office laser printers (even though Samsung are easily as good), but I'm no fan of their inkjet stuff.
HP are obsessive about their driver software taking over the planet, your computer and next door's cat. They're intrusive, buggy, and resource consuming.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

one problem, I'm still on XP, all the other computers in the house are newer operating systems. Should I just upgrade from XP first?

Two years ago, Brother did a good range ( I have one, crap multi-scanner) and you can buy an extended warranty with them. Software was pretty good, simple set up. Might be worth looking at them too.

Hmmm, me likey that Epson and even more that price
FWIW my old fella has stuck with Epson printers for years now, and apart from wearing them out every now and then he's not had any problems.

Then I was talking to guy at work last week and without any prompting he told me how he only uses Epson printers and compatible cartridges.

Then I saw the SX445W and I was sold :thumbsup:

Manonabike

Über Member
Most cheap printers cost a lot to run ( that is how companies make their money I suppose)

I have run Canon printers for the last 8 years or so and I'm very happy with the ones I've had. I don't buy genuine ink, I don't need to print anything too fancy. A few pics from time to time and cheap ink cartridges (£6 per set) proves good enough. The warning is that it shortens the life of the print heads, having said that, I'm still to see one fail. My daughter still uses the first Canon printer I bought.... IP4000 and she uses it a lot.

Epson printers are good too, HP expensive to run, Lexmark are pretty poor, year after year they make cr*ap printers.

one problem, I'm still on XP, all the other computers in the house are newer operating systems. Should I just upgrade from XP first?
Whichever one you settle on, check their website and see if they have drivers for XP, if it won't install XP drivers by default. I suspect most will support XP, still.

When you've chosen your printer, just take a look at the box or website for XP compatibility. A large part of the world is still on XP, and most manufacturers are still issuing drivers for it.
If you do decide to upgrade, please backup everything first. Upgrades can be good at destroying installations too.

[QUOTE 1997359, member: 45"]I was foolish enough to let a nerd in PC World talk me into buying an Epson rather than new cartridges for my HP. It ran out of ink after less than 20 sheets, and then broke completely.

I bought a wireless HP direct from their website for £35, and it's serving me very well.[/quote]

That's one of the tricks of the trade - New printers always come with deliberately underfilled cartridges.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

well just been to the Epson site and not only does the SX445W work with XP but just viewing it the Epson site scanned 'me' and highlighted the drivers I would need.

classic33

Leg End Member
Kodak do what they claim is the cheapest all-in-one printers, based on running costs. Having looked at the cartridge prices they seem to be true. However I've never used them.
13 year old canon printer now requires its first service. Not too bad given its age & the fact that during that time its printed close on 200,000 A4 sheets. Inkwise, I've had my cartridges refilled & used them.

Worth watching out for when the manufacturers are changing their packaging. Single colour cartridges have been got for £1-£1.50 apiece, instead of the normal £6-£13.

Top Bottom