New Printer All-inOne?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had a Kodak ESP9, (think that was it, it had a 9 in it anyway), a big all in one thingy a couple of years ago.

Yes the ink is well priced, but on the other hand I had loads of problems with the print head. It was replaced twice and had gone again when I got rid.

It also felt cheaply made with low rent plastics etc.

2PedalsTez

Über Member
Kodak quote cheap cartridges, but the measurement used for print yield is different to everyone else! Reliability doesn't seem too good with print head issues being the favourite.
That said, when they do work, for the low frequency user, they are ok.

I'd go for Canon or Epson. Good build, yield and print quality. Epson have new range incoming so deals on existing ranges might be found.

From Uncle Mort's above link, THESE are the standard cartridges for the SX445W, and THESE are the high yield ones.

FYI, and for research purposes if you like. The individual cartridge codes for the Epson are;

Standard:
Black T1281
Cyan T1282
Magenta T1283
Yellow T1284
Pack T1285

High Yield:
Black T1291
Cyan T1292
Magenta T1293
Yellow T1294
Pack T1295

My parents have a Kodak printer which just gave up the ghost. Only a few years old and doesn't complete power up so I'm giving them my canon pixma mp610 to solve my dilemma about whether I really need a wireless printer given that you still have to go and turn it on (unless you fancy paying fr it to stay in standby mode).
Anyway I'd suggest the canon pixma mg6250. Currently pcpros a-list printer, costs about £130.

gavintc

Guru
I had a nice reasonably expensive all in one wifi HP printer I got out in Italy. However, after a year, the wifi died and then in the move back to UK it died completely. So, one of my first tasks on arrival back in UK was to get a wifi all in one. PC world sold reasonably priced Kodak ones. I got a mid priced one, complete with a 2 yr guarantee and extra ink cartridges reduced from £130 for £70. I then had to move south for a new job, and needed a printer. I bought a budget wifi one - Advent, I think from Currys for £40 and extra ink for £20. Sods law, the Kodak one at home stopped doing the wifi thing after only 3 months, so I called in the guarantee and got a brand new one - Kodak as well. However, I notice the Advent one in my room in Portsmouth does not always print and frequently needs rebooting.

So in summary, the wifi thing seems to be a problem. Both HP and Kodak stopped working after a relatively short time. The Kodak ink is significantly cheaper than HP and the cartridges last longer. Finally, my budget Advent is not that great, it prints well, but it is temperamental.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Wow folks, way to confuse an old man...but panic yea not Smokeysmoo is the winner and the Epson will be purchased as soon as I can get to Argos. The wifi isn't the be all and end all, I can hardwire to the printer in my office. I only wanted the wifi so that the family could print directly rather than transferring to my PC via e-mail, file sharing or memory stick. If I had it all set up right at home they could probably print by treating my PC as the server.

Thomk

Guru
Just in
Wow folks, way to confuse an old man...but panic yea not Smokeysmoo is the winner and the Epson will be purchased as soon as I can get to Argos. The wifi isn't the be all and end all, I can hardwire to the printer in my office. I only wanted the wifi so that the family could print directly rather than transferring to my PC via e-mail, file sharing or memory stick. If I had it all set up right at home they could probably print by treating my PC as the server.
In case you haven't left yet. I've had more printers than you've had bike rides. The only ones I touch now are the Canon Pixma ones. Last two were MP610 and MP560 which are both obsolete now (had the MP560 2 years now and done untold 1000s prints with it with no problems) but when I buy again it will be whatever replaced them as the technology will probably be very similar. Cart's cost about £1 each from ebay or ink.co.uk. In short:
Canon Pixma - Fantastic
All others- Poo

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Just in

In case you haven't left yet. I've had more printers than you've had bike rides. The only ones I touch now are the Canon Pixma ones. Last two were MP610 and MP560 which are both obsolete now (had the MP560 2 years now and done untold 1000s prints with it with no problems) but when I buy again it will be whatever replaced them as the technology will probably be very similar. Cart's cost about £1 each from ebay or ink.co.uk. In short:
Canon Pixma - Fantastic
All others- Poo

Ooooh, even cheaper than the Epson, we could have a late charge here that pips Smokeysmoo at the post.

Ooooh, even cheaper than the Epson, we could have a late charge here that pips Smokeysmoo at the post.
I'm off to PM Admin, where's the Dislike button when you need it :sad:

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Could be a reprieve though, which of the printers scans via flatbed? I do need to scan in quite a few odd shaped and old pieces, an auto feed style wouldn't work well.

Thomk

Guru
All my canon printers have a flatbed scanner. However, I cannot recommend a particular model to you because, as I said, my current (beautiful, never go wrong machines from heaven) are obsolete. Might be better on reflection to go with the specific recommendation of the (inevitably second rate because it's not a Canon Pixma) Epson.

For a second there I thought I was going to have to reconsider buying the MG6250 but as the prices max out at £79 these are budget printers. Pity there's no Auto power on like the new budget models. Hopefully reviews appear soon

Top Bottom