New project for after Xmas - finished

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
just got my hands on this 72 Dawes Galaxy. Overall in reasonable condition.

I've had a quick rub of the forks and they will come up fine. Rest of the paintwork is ok to good and the decals are in good condition. Has the lovely GB touring bars. Already have a nice brooks B15 standard to fit onto it.

Best of all its my size at 21". Can't think of how many bikes I've bought this year waiting for one my size (excluding the zephyr which is in the garage so I don't get it dirty or wet lol).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 98
Looks like it might be a stunner!

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Here's some pics of the frame after stripping and coeaning. Forks have come up better than I thought they would. Overall pretty pleased with the condition. Paintwork has some patina but no apparent rusting. Already stripped, cleaned and greased headset and bottom bracket.

Crankset partially cleaned but can't get pedals out yet to finish. Off to get some uber penetrating spray today.

Brakes are getting cleaned over next few days and will fit a brooks saddle soon.

Wheels need a good cleaning but look ok with some small adjustments.

Hopefully get it done fr new year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Pictures of the finished bike. Overall not too shabby for nearly 40 years old. Now dated to 1976. Swapped the chainset for a double and added a new freewheel as the old one worked ok but was a bit too noisey for my liking. Also added a Brooks B15 and leather covered handlebars to finish it off.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 84

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Lovely job and a lovely bike.:bravo:
EDIT - The brake levers are exactly where I would have put them, a lot of people nowadays put them far too high up the bars then moan cos they are hard to reach.

Top Bottom