New Pump (diabetes)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well, we had a phone call on Friday and my son is going on a pump in March. We didn't expect it to be this quick as we only picked one last month.

It's the new Accuchek Insight pump which has just come out. The blood meter looks like a smart phone and is touch screen.

Going to be scarey at first and we will need to be testing every two hours through the night at first.

Plus side is that it's one cannula change every three days rather than 4 injections per day.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Got to get the pump added to our house insurance as these things cost over £3k

ayceejay

Guru
Does that include the ongoing supplies fossy? I am asking because here in Canada it is possible to get a pump on medicare but not the later supplies.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Does that include the ongoing supplies fossy? I am asking because here in Canada it is possible to get a pump on medicare but not the later supplies.

It does. The only thing that isn't funded is a CGM which most folk don't bother with. I think the cannula and tube comes direct from the company and insulin from the GP.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

We picked the pump up today. Got to run it as a dummy until 13th where we go onto insulin. We basically use it as you would but my lad injects.

He wasn't keen on the cannula insertion and worked himself up but eventually did it. He was a bit sore to start with but after 30 minutes he couldn't tell it was in.

Top Bottom