New purchase can anyone identify this beauty?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shadaboot27

I have just bought this Hercules bicycle for a pretty reasonably price. It looks to be complete and it should clean up pretty well. I think it's from the 1930's and I'm guessing it's something like the Hercules equivalent of a 30's Raleigh Record ace by looking at the swan neck stem and saddle pillar. I'm guessing that it was one of the real top of the range bikes of the era by looking at some of the components. Can anybody help with a rough age or exact model?

_57%206_1.jpg

_57%205_1.jpg

_57%201_2.jpg

_57%202_3.jpg

_57%203_2.jpg

_57%204_1.jpg

_57%207_1.jpg

_57_3.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nice. :becool:

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

Thanks :smile: It was a very lucky find. It was only on eBay for about an hour before I saw it and snapped it up. I've just spent 5 hours driving to go and get it but it was worth every minute! After having a quick look over it I can tell that the bike is almost 100% complete and it hasn't been messed about with. All the parts are original and also in great condition. The only thing that is bugging me is that one of the grips is missing! The other is an original Curry's one and it's in excellent condition. But finding another one to replace the missing one will be a next to impossible task but yet again it'a all part of the fun :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

And I have honestly never seen one of these before and I also can't find anything similar in any of the old Hercules catalogs. I'd really love to know what model it is. But as for the date the guys seemed to think it was around 1935, which seems about right.

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

Some of the 30's catalogs are missing from the Veteran Cycle Club. As I cant find my bike in any of them It must be from one of the missing years, which are 1932, 1933, 1936 and 1939. And the closest model I can find to mine is the Hercules Clubman from the 1937 catalog. This is the only catalog I can find where they have derailleur gears as an option so I doubt it would be 32 or 33 so I'm thinking 36 or 39.

Attachments

• Hercules Clubman.png
    Hercules Clubman.png
    134 KB · Views: 68

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Some of the 30's catalogs are missing from the Veteran Cycle Club. As I cant find my bike in any of them It must be from one of the missing years, which are 1932, 1933, 1936 and 1939. And the closest model I can find to mine is the Hercules Clubman from the 1937 catalog. This is the only catalog I can find where they have derailleur gears as an option so I doubt it would be 32 or 33 so I'm thinking 36 or 39.

either way that is older than me for sure

wisdom

Guru
That is very nice indeed.A pic by pic report of the restoration would be nice if you could find the time to share it with us please.

Top Bottom